Pololu Robotics & Electronics
Menu
My account Comments or questions? About Pololu Contact Ordering information Distributors

Pololu Forum

QTR-8RC 'Position' Reading when line is below 3 sensors at a time

Hi Pololu,

I need your Guidance.
I am using Pololu QTR-8RC (all 8 sensors) sensor for line follower robot. I have tested my robot for line width of 15-20mm in which line just fits in the distance between two sensors. I used the Position reading of the sensor to calculate my Error value and then obtained the motor speeds using PID calculation.
But now I want my robot to follow the Line of width of 30-35mm. Here, in the desired position, the central three sensors are on the line at the same time.
So, in this scenario, Will the position reading from the sensor be accurate and Can I use this reading to calculate my error and Motor Speeds?.

Regards
Devansh Atray

Hello, Devansh.

If you are using our library for those QTR sensors, I expect the wider lines will not be a problem. Have you tried running a course with wider lines?

-Derrill

Hi Derrill,

Thanks for your reply.
I have not tried my robot as of now on course with wider lines but I plan to do so.
But I am confused as to what will be the Position reading from the sensor when line is below any three sensors at the same time?
Because I think the Position reading indicates–‘Between which sensors the line is’. For e.g: If the position is 3500, then the line is exactly in the middle of 3&4 sensor. But if the line is under three sensors at the same time, then what will the position reading be and will it be accurate?

Regards
Devansh Atray

The position value is a weighted average of the position times 1000, so if the line was being seen by 3 sensors equally, the value reported would be the middle sensor of those three sensors multiplied by 1000. You can see more about this in the “QTRSensors Methods & Usage Notes” section of the “Arduino Library for the Pololu QTR Reflectance Sensors” documentation.

-Derrill