QTR-1A sensors not callibrating

Hi,
I would like to know if my 3 sensors are broken. I’m using the QTRA example code and have my 3 sensors on a breadboard. I’ve tried various ways to get a min reading of zero but it stays high for everything. In my picture I flip the breadboard over and jiggle the sensors over the lines during calibration. I cannot get ‘calibration min.’ on any of the three sensors to zero (see output list).
Pic, code and output attached. I appreciate your help.

#include <QTRSensors.h>

// This example is designed for use with six QTR-1A sensors or the first six sensors of a
// QTR-8A module.  These reflectance sensors should be connected to analog inputs 0 to 5.
// The QTR-8A's emitter control pin (LEDON) can optionally be connected to digital pin 2, 
// or you can leave it disconnected and change the EMITTER_PIN #define below from 2 to 
// QTR_NO_EMITTER_PIN.

// The setup phase of this example calibrates the sensor for ten seconds and turns on
// the LED built in to the Arduino on pin 13 while calibration is going on.
// During this phase, you should expose each reflectance sensor to the lightest and 
// darkest readings they will encounter.
// For example, if you are making a line follower, you should slide the sensors across the
// line during the calibration phase so that each sensor can get a reading of how dark the
// line is and how light the ground is.  Improper calibration will result in poor readings.
// If you want to skip the calibration phase, you can get the raw sensor readings
// (analog voltage readings from 0 to 1023) by calling qtra.read(sensorValues) instead of
// qtra.readLine(sensorValues).

// The main loop of the example reads the calibrated sensor values and uses them to
// estimate the position of a line.  You can test this by taping a piece of 3/4" black
// electrical tape to a piece of white paper and sliding the sensor across it.  It
// prints the sensor values to the serial monitor as numbers from 0 (maximum reflectance) 
// to 1000 (minimum reflectance) followed by the estimated location of the line as a number
// from 0 to 5000.  1000 means the line is directly under sensor 1, 2000 means directly
// under sensor 2, etc.  0 means the line is directly under sensor 0 or was last seen by
// sensor 0 before being lost.  5000 means the line is directly under sensor 5 or was
// last seen by sensor 5 before being lost.

#define NUM_SENSORS             3  // number of sensors used
#define NUM_SAMPLES_PER_SENSOR  4  // average 4 analog samples per sensor reading
#define EMITTER_PIN             QTR_NO_EMITTER_PIN  // emitter is controlled by digital pin 2

// sensors 0 through 5 are connected to analog inputs 0 through 5, respectively
QTRSensorsAnalog qtra((unsigned char[]) {0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5}, 
  NUM_SENSORS, NUM_SAMPLES_PER_SENSOR, EMITTER_PIN);
unsigned int sensorValues[NUM_SENSORS];

void setup()
{
  delay(500);
  pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(13, HIGH);    // turn on Arduino's LED to indicate we are in calibration mode
  // print the calibration minimum values measured when emitters were on
  Serial.begin(9600);
  Serial.println("Starting calibration in 5 seconds");
  delay(1000); // wait for window to be opened
  Serial.println(", 4");
  Serial.println(", 3");
  Serial.println(", 2");
  Serial.println(", 1");
  Serial.println(", 0");
  for (int i = 0; i < 400; i++)  // make the calibration take about 10 seconds
  {
    qtra.calibrate();       // reads all sensors 10 times at 2.5 ms per six sensors (i.e. ~25 ms per call)
  }
  digitalWrite(13, LOW);     // turn off Arduino's LED to indicate we are through with calibration
  //Print calibrations
  for (int i = 0; i < NUM_SENSORS; i++)
  {
    Serial.print("Calibrated min. ");
    Serial.print(i);
    Serial.print(" = ");
    Serial.print(qtra.calibratedMinimumOn[i]);
    Serial.print(' ');
  }
  Serial.println();

// print the calibration maximum values measured when emitters were on
  for (int i = 0; i < NUM_SENSORS; i++)
  {
    Serial.print("Calibrated max. ");
    Serial.print(i);
    Serial.print(" = ");
    Serial.print(qtra.calibratedMaximumOn[i]);
    Serial.print(' ');
  }
  Serial.println();
  Serial.println();
  delay(1000);
}

void loop()
{
  // read calibrated sensor values and obtain a measure of the line position from 0 to 5000
  // To get raw sensor values, call:
  //  qtra.read(sensorValues); instead of unsigned int position = qtra.readLine(sensorValues);
  unsigned int position = qtra.readLine(sensorValues);

// print the sensor values as numbers from 0 to 1000, where 0 means maximum reflectance and
  // 1000 means minimum reflectance, followed by the line position
  for (unsigned char i = 0; i < NUM_SENSORS; i++)
  {
    Serial.print("Sensor ");
    Serial.print(i);
    Serial.print(" = ");
    Serial.print(sensorValues[i]);
    Serial.print('\t');
  }
  Serial.println(); // uncomment this line if you are using raw values
  //Serial.println(position); // comment this line out if you are using raw values

delay(500);
}
Starting calibration in 5 seconds
, 4
, 3
, 2
, 1
, 0
Calibrated min. 0 = 195 Calibrated min. 1 = 195 Calibrated min. 2 = 195 
Calibrated max. 0 = 196 Calibrated max. 1 = 196 Calibrated max. 2 = 196 

Sensor 0 = 0	Sensor 1 = 0	Sensor 2 = 0	
Sensor 0 = 0	Sensor 1 = 0	Sensor 2 = 0	
Sensor 0 = 1000	Sensor 1 = 1000	Sensor 2 = 0

Hello.

I have moved your post to the Pololu Sensors section of our forum.

Thank you for providing all of that information. I noticed that you haven’t finished modifying the example code to work with only three sensors. Along with changing NUM_SENSORS to 3 (which it looks like you have already done), you will need to change the this line of your code to match the pins that your QTR sensors are connected to:

QTRSensorsAnalog qtra((unsigned char[]) {1, 2, 3}, NUM_SENSORS, NUM_SAMPLES_PER_SENSOR, EMITTER_PIN);

Could you try changing that and rerunning your test to see if it fixes the issue?

Also, make sure that you are passing the sensors over the line for your entire 10 second calibration period. Please note that the optimal sensing distance for these QTR sensors is approximately 3mm from the surface they are sensing.

-Brandon