Pull-up resistor (1–100 kilo-ohms)?

Does this mean 1 to 100 kilo-ohms or 1100 kilo-ohms? What would be the best resistor to buy?

Thanks

Hello.

I am not sure if you are referring to something on our web site or asking a general question about a pull-up resistor range, but “1-100 kilo-ohms” probably means 1 kΩ to 100 kΩ. The appropriate value depends on your particular application, but 10k is often a good choice.

-Robert

Thanks for the reply. I am talking about wiring the maestros to use a motion sensor. It asks for a pull up resistor and I was wondering what the best one to buy would be.

Thanks

“Next, wire a pull-up resistor (1–100 kilo-ohms) between the signal line of that channel and 5 V so that the input is high (5 V) when the switch is open.”

From this passage.

Thanks

So what would the best resistor be for this?

Thanks

Hello.

Your question has already been answered: something between 1k and 100k is probably fine. A typical choice is 10k. The details depend on the application.

Is there something more you are looking for?

- Ben

I quoted the Maestro User manual and asked what the best resistor would be. One answer is anything between 1 and 100 depending on the use and you just gave me the same answer.

Would it be best to use a 10 or 100 or a certain number based on wiring a motion sensor to a maestro? Sorry I need specifics. Last time I didn’t get specific I burned up 2 servos :slight_smile: my bad not yours of course as electronics confuse me. I am still trying to figured it all out.

Thanks
Luke

The reason you are not getting specifics is because in this instance, there is no specific answer: a wide range will work. The other reason you aren’t getting specifics is that you aren’t giving them. There isn’t some rule like “motion sensors require 32k pull-ups”. If there are going to be some additional constraints to consider, it will depend on what you are connecting and what you are trying to optimize.

Do you understand what a pull-up resistor does and how it does it? Have you read the Wikipedia entry on pull-up resistors? When you say “best”, what do you mean? (Best in what sense?)

- Ben

Using Pololu’s maestro servo controller and Pololu’s documentation and the passive infrared detector (PID) motion sensor SE-10 ordered from Pololu what would the best choice be? There isn’t anymore specific information I know of.

So a wide range will work, but is it better to use a resistor from part of that range?

Thanks
Luke

I guess I will go with the 10 kilo-ohm resistor?

Thanks
Luke

Yes, a wide range works, and 10k is fine; you just need something to set the voltage high while the output is open. You still haven’t said what you are trying to optimize, so I cannot tell you anything more specific.

- Ben

Sorry if I don’t communicate clearly but all I am trying to do is hook the pir motion sensor to the maestro per the users manual and it asks for a pull up resistor. There are no more variables I know of. It’s running a few hobby servos.

Thanks
Luke

Using a stronger (smaller) pull-up resistor will decrease the rise time of the signal, but it will also draw more current. I don’t expect you to care much about either of those things. If you had some particular constraints involving current or signal rise time, then maybe there would be a “best” value.

- Ben

So I went to Radio Shack to get a 10 kilo-ohm pull up resistor. Of course they had no clue what I was talking about and the resistors all had wattages and materials to choose from as well. I have no idea what to get. Does wattage or material matter?

Thanks

In the worst case, one side of the pull-up resistor will be at VCC and the other will be at ground. If you are using a 10k pull-up to 5 V, you can use Ohm’s law to calculate that it will draw 5/10,000 = 0.5 mA. The power dissipated by a resistor is given by I²R, so if I is 0.5 mA and R is 10k, you get that the dissipated power is 2.5 mW. Basically, any through-hole resistor you find will be fine (common ones are 0.1 W or 0.25 W). Material does not matter.

- Ben

Thanks