Programming via UART0

Hi…

Is it possible to program the baby orangutan 328 via the UART? , probably a better question is, does the installed bootloader support programming via UART0…

I have seen the following projects.gbdt.com.au/boot162/ which is a project for doing that, but I dont want to start if its already done…

My needs are because the baby-o will not be easily accessible, but i have the serial port accessible…

Hello.

The Baby Orangutan does not have an installed bootloader, but you can program it with a serial bootloader using an ISP programmer before embedding the Baby O in your project. This thread might have some useful information for you:

You could also consider burning the Arduino bootloader onto the board.

Please let us know if you have any further questions. Also, can you tell us more about your project?

- Ben

that post has my brain working overtime - thanks…

My project has been to use the baby-o hooked up to a high-power mosfet board to control an Airsoft Gun, which has a QTR sensor sensing the position of the piston to know when to stop the motor…

Some of the work can be viewed here http://forum.sportairsoft.co.nz/showthread.php?4643-Project-AEG-Control-via-Microcontroller-amp-Sensors.&p=55095&highlight=#post55095& some videos of my experiments

and

I have more video & photos now I am final on the hardware, the baby-o will be buried inside the gun, with the serial port accessable in the stock near the battery as my software allows changing settings and reading sensor data (including battery voltages, motor run times, number shots)…

That’s a really cool project! Please let us know how it turns out, and don’t hesitate to ask if you need some help figuring out how to put a bootloader on the Baby Orangutan.

- Ben

I managed to get the arduino bootloader working, had to modify a couple of things, but it was the easiest of the 3 I tried… Only issues at the moment are:

1. I have only about 1 second to start the upload when the LEd flashes… Need to expand that a little…
  2. The bootloader does not reset or stop the serial port before the program starts, will have to change that.

I will post up some files/details on my web site later…
http://www.winters.org.nz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=67:using-the-ardiuno-bootloader-on-the-baby-orangutan&catid=48:avr-programming&Itemid=77

Now, I managed to blow up the h-bridge and possably the whole baby-o board that I had hard wired for my gun, it seems a resistor was exerting a bit of pressure on the h-bridge chip after I heat-shrunk the baby-o and when I connected my 11.1v lipo it shorted internally and went bang!!

seeing that I will have to change the way i have the baby-o wired and mounted to ensure pressure can not be put on the components…

Bummer - lucky I have a spare…

Well, i was able to power up this board, and re-programm it with a test (blink led) and the program runs, but the h-bridge was getting really hot…

MM…

Are you talking about your backup Orangutan or the one you previously mentioned shorting out? If the H-bridge is getting really hot, it sounds like you have a short that is draining a lot of power.

- Ben

The backup I was able to use there…

What I found was my high power mosfet board had a tiney weeny conductive short charging a capacitor when i coneccted the battery, which fed around 12v into the motor B2 line, and poof…

The cpu seems fine on this board, and possably the other too… There is a guy here at work (trimble navigation) who is a bit of an expert with tiny things, I will see if he can replace the h-bridge…

I am thinking that a couple of diodes on the motor out lines that i control my mosfet will prevent any more feedback problems, it seems normally there is about 3 volts…

My diagram, hookups and the power mosfet board is this.

(you might need to save it to see the whole thing).
We learn from our mistakes!!