Problems with PGM03A USB Programmer with ATMega328P-PU

Good day,

I am currently experiencing a problem with the PGM03A Pololu USB Programmer with the ATMega328P-PU chip. This is my first time programming an AVR so please bear with me. The components are fresh out of the packaging.

I currently connected the GND, RST, SCK, MOSI, MISO, and VDD from the programmer to my chip, double checking the connectivity. However, would I need to connect the a crystal to the appropriate pins of my chip before I can program?

The Pololu USB AVR Programmer Configuration Utility also has this error message:
The SPI command for entering programming mode was sent, but the expected response from the target was not received. Make sure that the ISP frequency setting is less than 1/4th of the target’s clock frequency.

Is this problem salvageable?

Hello.

I am sorry you are having trouble programming your AVR. How are you powering the AVR? What ISP frequency is the programmer currently configured to use?

It depends how your AVR’s fuse bits are configured. If it still has the factory default settings, it should run fine on its internal oscillator. If you have changed it to expect a crystal, you need to have a crystal during programming.

I recommend reading the “Troubleshooting” section of the Pololu USB AVR Programmer User’s Guide, and particularly the “If the programmer has problems connecting to the target AVR” subsection.

–David