Problems using a terminal program

THERE ARE MANY TERMINAL PROGRAMS WHICH ARE CAPABLE OF SENDING AND RECEIVING THE BYTES OVER A VIRTUAL COM PORT. ALL THE THINGS ARE GOING GOOD ,THAT IS, THE VIRTUAL COM PORT IS KNOWN ,AND THE WIXEL IS ALSO PERFORMING GOOD BUT WHEN THE TERMINAL PROGRAM IS RUN THAN IT DOES NOT RESPOND. IM USING
1.PuTTY [chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/" ]
2.Tera Term[ttssh2.sourceforge.jp/]
3. Br@y Terminal[sites.google.com/site/terminalbpp/]

• IT IS POSSIBLE THAT MAY BE THERE IS A PROBLEM ARISING DUE TO MY FAULT , SO IN THAT CASE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO PROPERLY USE THE TERMINAL PROGRAM TO SEND THE BYTES USING THE VIRTUAL COM PORT.
    **PLEASE REPLY AT YOUR EARLIEST AS THIS OPERATION IS VITAL FOR THE WIRELESS COMMUNICATION BETWEEN TWO WIXELS.

Hello. I am sorry you are having trouble with your Wixels. Please do not type in ALL CAPITALS because it looks like you are shouting. You did not mention what Wixel app you are using. If you want help troubleshooting, you will need to give a all of the details about what you are doing. Please see this post: Read Before You Post: General Advice for Getting Help.

–David

Thanks for the reply. I’ve read what was suggested.
I m working on a project named “UNIVERSAL REAL TIME TRAFFIC SECURITY SYSTEM” .I am giving a brief description here:

This is a system which is designed so that security near the traffic region cab be fully ensured.The project is a miniature of the real world implication.I am using

1. Arduino ATmega328
  2. Pololu Wixel
  3. R/C car
    Simply the idea is to control the remote control car via arduino programmer.this project has mainly two majore sections :
    1.Traffic server
  4. Vehicle unit

Traffic server is responsible for controlling the vehicle and sending the commands to the vehicle. the vehicle unit is remotely located and continuously moving towards the traffic server.The traffic server has to detect the presence of the moving vehicle and it has to send the necessary instructions to the vehicle. both the sections have the trancievers
attached to transmit and receive the signals.

Now I am using two wixels and one arduino .The moving vehicle is a kind of toy remote control car and the arduino is attached to the car with one wixel. The other wixel is connected to the laptop using windows 7 ultimate. The idea is to send the control codes to the arduino board wirelessly via wixel. the wireless uploading of the codes is a must.

I have used wixel wireless application that is “wireless-serial-v1.3” . the wixel configuration utility window shows that the application is running. I’ve uploaded the same application in both the wixels and connected one of them to the arduino board.

The wixel connected to the arduino board is powered by 3v power and I kept it in the range of the other wixel (under 50 feet)which is connected to the laptop. I am using “tera term” and “putty” terminal program to send the data bits wirelessly but the terminal is not responding(it opens but it does not type anything).I’ve typed correct comport number and selected correct baud rate but still the problem persisting and I am frustrated :smiling_imp:

Unless you enable a local echo option, those terminal programs will not display the characters you type. Instead, terminal programs only display the characters that they receive from the COM port. They silently send the characters you are typing, but they don’t display them by default. How were you expecting the system to behave?

It is useful to do a loopback test to figure out if your problem is with the Wixels or with the Arduino. To do this, you would disconnect the remote Wixel’s RX and TX lines from the Arduino, and instead just connect the remote Wixel’s RX line to its TX line. Then if you type a letter in your terminal program, it should get transmitted to the remote Wixel, go out on the Wixel’s TX line, get received by the Wixel’s RX line, and then come back to the other Wixel, go into your computer, and get displayed on the screen by your terminal program.

–David

i have tried the technique you have suggested and i have found that both of the devices are working properly. but still the “putty” is not responding. how to activate the local echo option for the putty terminal window and please elaborate the topic of the use of the com ports.

If you click on the “Terminal” category when you are setting up your PuTTY options, you can find the local echo option. However, I recommend that you do NOT enable it, because it will only confuse things further and it will not actually help you set up a wireless connection.

You can find more information about COM ports online. Also, this is probably a pretty good book because I am familiar with some of the author’s other work, but it probably contains way more information than you actually need to know:
amazon.com/Serial-Port-Compl … 0965081923

Really you just need to know a few things: A byte is a number between 0 and 255. A COM port lets you send and receive bytes. A typical terminal program won’t show you all of the actual bytes, but it will try to convert the bytes into printable characters like “a” and “b” using some kind of encoding scheme such as ASCII.

–David

i have set up local echo option to force off. but still no improvement. im almost not able to use the wixels to wirelessly communicate to the other wixel. i have written the wireless application to both the wixels. i have read the manual but it is not happening. if you know what im asking and if you have the solution than please give the complete answer.im a beginner afterall.

thanks for your support. all the previous problems regarding the terminal window were solved.
but i need to ask you that what happens when the arduino board is wirelessly uploaded using wixels. i have connected one wixel to the laptop( windows 7 ) and the other wixel is connected to the remotely located arduino atmega328 board which is powered by an external(9v) power supply. when i uploaded a simple blinking sketch to the arduino board via wixel(connected to the laptop), everything goes good but the arduino board does not gets uploaded(even the arduino window shows that the sketch has been uploaded) and it shows something in red words that is
" avrdude : stk500_getsync : not in sync: resp=0x00 " . what does this means??

Hello. Are you trying to program your Arduino wirelessly? I wouldn’t expect that to work unless you use our Wixel Shield for Arduino, or carefully recreate all of the connections on the shield.

–David

if i dont want to use the wixel shield than if there is any other solution. actually i haven’t yet used the wixel shield and im able to do wireless programming of the arduino board but the only problem occurring is that of synchronization. if this is something that cant be solved without wixel shield ?

I do not know enough about your system to understand why you are getting that error, so it is hard to be sure that the shield would solve it. However, the Wixel Arduino shield can generally program Arduinos without any errors so I think it would solve the problem.

–David

Okay i, now tell you what is the problem :
when i uploaded the codes to the arduino board(which is remotely located) via wixel then there was a synchronization problem occurs which means that when i used the other way than the ordinary method( via USB ) to upload the codes to the arduino board ( the other method i am talking about is wireless method offered by wixels) than the codes uploaded to the arduino board don’t work.
what could be the possible reason and if wixel shield is capable of solving this problem.
look this is the very basic feature that i have read " wixels are capable are capable of wirelessly programming the arduino’s " and this made me to make to consider it over xbee. but this codes uploading synchronization problem is proving me wrong.

It sounds like you are having trouble using the Arduino’s USB connection to program it after you tried to use the Wixel. In that case, maybe the Arduino has gotten into a bad state and you should try totally powering it off.

I still do not know enough about your system to help you troubleshoot. I would need to know exactly how you have connected all the components, how you configured the Arduino IDE, and how you configured each Wixel. I would also need to know exactly what model of Arduino you are using and where you got it from. Also, a picture showing all of your connections would help. If you made any other choices that might affect the outcome, I would need to know those too.

You can find the schematic of the Wixel shield in its Resources tab:

pololu.com/catalog/product/2500/resources

You should carefully compare the schematic of your system to the schematic of the shield. If it is different, you should think about whether that difference is important for wireless programming or not.

–David