Problem fitting Futaba servo wheel to SpringRC servo

I am having trouble fitting the SpringRC servo to the Futaba servo wheels. They seem an extremely tight and the splines on the wheel get damaged very easily.

These two
pololu.com/catalog/product/226
pololu.com/catalog/product/1248

Are these wheels definitely compatible?

Is there a way to make it easier to fit these parts together?

Is there a way to fix the spline in the wheel if damaged a little at the opening?

Thanks.

Hello.

They should work together, and some fits will be a bit tighter than others. I am not sure how bad the spline damage you are talking about is, but it should not be something you have to worry about.

- Jan

I recently bought your Futaba hub wheels (one of each color) and two SpringRC servos. There is NO WAY that hub will press onto the SpringRC spline, nor onto a Futaba servo I have. The hub barely even catches when I rotate it on top of the spline; that is, I can only barely feel the teeth of the spline catching the grooves of the hub. It isn’t even close to a match. I couldn’t force it on with a mallet! Something’s wrong with the wheels.

I just tried a set, and it worked. Your description about the hub barely catching matched what I saw, but if you just push down with a little wiggling at one of those catching points, the wheel should go on snugly. I was able to do several cycles of putting the wheel on and off without any visible damage like that described by kimm. Can you try pushing it on harder?

- Jan

Maybe the tolerance of the wheels varies a lot, although the servo is a tight fit with futaba fittings as well.

The one I tried needed about 15kg of force to only get the wheel to go half on. It was very hard to pull off. I would not be suprised if the servo was damaged a bit.

Has anyone tried heating these wheels in hot water first?

I did get it on with an extraordinary amount of force, Jan, just because you said I could. No mallet required after all, but nothing like as easy as it ought to be. Hope that pressure doesn’t damage the servo OR the spline when I force a wheel on. I’m kind of leery about softening/expanding the wheel with hot water because that might throw it out of round. I’ll just brute-force it and hope for the best. Gonna get me a pet elephant or something.