Printing Line Numbers

I am a AVR “newbee”, maybe a stupid question, but I have been looking through “STUDIO 4” for a switch to set that will enable source code to be printed with line numbers!

In my last life, I used an Motorola 68HC11 ImageCraft compiler running in DOS, and it was nice to generate a “source code” print-out that did include line numbers.

All the AVR (red dot) error flags generated by “build” are linked to the source file and a line number. Counting down to line 254, for example, is hopeless. Maybe my only option is to tape pages together and measure with a tape calibrated in lines/page.

Forty years ago, I wrote machine code on fan-folded paper and measured relative branches with a 256 line tape numbered in hex from 00 to FF. The good old days before compilers!

1 Like

I think you may be out of luck.

AVR Studio displays the line number of the cursor on the bottom right, and jumps to the line of a compilation error when you double click on it (it will even open included source files this way, very nice), but I don’t think there is any way to make it display or print line numbers, which is a shame.

If I wanted to print AVR code out with line numbers I would open it in another editor, like Programmer’s Notepad, which does line numbers and format coloring (and which should have installed itself with WinAVR, assuming you’re writing in C).

-Adam

P.S. Counting lines with a hex-measuring tape, hard core!