Pololu Zumo 32U4 robots and chromebooks

I’ve just bought a class set of Zumo 32U4 robots to use at my work and my students are using chromebooks. We have downloaded the Arduino CC for them to write their code in, but when trying to set it up our issue has been with choosing the board. I can not find Pololu A Star 32U4 board as an option unlike when I use my laptop. Is there another board we can use when using the chromebooks?

Hello.

Have you followed the instructions in the “Programming using the Arduino IDE” section of the Zumo 32U4 Robot’s user’s guide? In particular, steps 3-7 need to be done for the board to show up correctly.

Brandon

Yes, we have done those steps on our laptops and desktops and it works fine using the Arduino IDE app. The issue comes with the chromebooks and they are using the Arduino CC app. We are unable to do any of those steps on the Arduino CC app. All I can find on the app is the AStar 32U4 library, which I have installed, but it obviously doesn’t give me access to the correct board etc.

When you refer to “the Arduino CC app”, are you talking about the Arduino Web Editor? If so, it looks like that web editor on Chromebook does not allow third party boards (like the Zumo 32U4) according to this article on Arduino’s support site.

The Zumo 32U4 is based on the same ATmega32U4 microcontroller as the Arduino Leonardo, so it should generally work to program it as an “Arduino Leonardo” board; however, that article does not list the Leonardo as one of their supported boards either, so unless the article is out of date, it sounds like that is not an option.

If it does not let you program the Zumo 32U4 as an Arduino Leonardo, you might try programming an official Arduino Leonardo board to see if that works. If it does, you might be able to get the Zumo 32U4 to program by loading the official Arduino Leonardo bootloader onto it using an AVR programmer.

Brandon