Pololu USB AVR Programmer v2.1 doesn't connect

Hello,

I purchased a Pololu USB AVR Programmer v2.1 in November but just got around to trying to using it.

I’ve installed both the ( Pololu USB AVR Programmer v2 Software and Drivers for Windows (9MB msi)) and (pololu-avr-bundle-151002.exe). Both times when connecting the device to my computer, no connection sound is heard and detection of the device never occurs. I’ve tried multiple times and different operating systems (Linux and Windows). No change in the device manager device list when the device is connected. I’ve also used different cables that I’ve verified works with other devices.

With initial plug in of device, red and green led light up. Than after a few seconds the red led turns off and the green usb status led just turns on and off at 1Hz. I assume from reading the documentation that this indicates device is waiting for a a particular message from the computer that indicates that the programmer is recognized but is never getting it. Which would make sense since windows isn’t identifying a connection with the device. This happens on both Ubuntu Linux and Windows 10.

Please let me know how to get device to connect.

Thanks!

Hello.

Just to confirm, when you tested your USB cable with other devices, did you confirm that you could transfer data to verify it is not just a charging cable? Can you also try different USB ports on your computer?

If changing cables and ports does not resolve the problem, can you post a video showing what your programmer’s LED behavior when you connect it? The forum does not allow users to post very large videos, but it does work well with videos linked from other sites (like YouTube or Vimeo).

- Patrick

Hello,

I’ve figured out what the issue is. Its my USB power settings in Power Plan on Windows 10. It was set to “enabled” and when I “disabled” it my computer detected the programmer. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

I am glad to hear you figured out the problem! Thanks for letting us know what it was.

- Patrick