Pololu USB AVR Programmer and Windows 11

Hello Pololu team,

I want to program a 3pi using Arduino on wIndows 11. I think I followed all steps I could find in " Pololu AVR Programming Quick Start Guide". I downloaded the libraries for the 3pi robot and added them to the Arduino libraries, which the Arduino IDE also recognizes. I can select the 3pi w/ ATmega328P board. If I want to upload any sketch on the 3pi robot the Arduino IDE says: “A programmer is required to upload” ( If have selcted the USB AVR Programmer in the Arduino Programmers menu.).
I guess this has something to do with Windows 11 as I don’t see too many threads concerning Windows 11 in this forum.

King regards
Nick Jung

Hello, Nick.

It sounds like you followed the instructions in the Programming Orangutans and the 3pi Robot from the Arduino Environment guide that is linked in the Pololu AVR Programming Quick Start Guide under the “Overview” section. Is that correct?

Just to be clear, did you get the error after or before selecting the AVR programmer? Can you post screen shots of the Tools menu in your Arduino IDE, showing the board, port, and programmer selections? Also, which Arduino IDE version are you using?

- Amanda

Hello Amanda, thanks for the quick reply!

1. I appended the requested screenshot from the Arduino tools menu.
  2. The Arduino version I am using is 2.0.0
  3. The error appeared before I have chosen the “Pololu USB AVR Programmer” and remained after I have chosen it.
  4. Additionally to following, as you anticipated correctly: 3. Configuring the Arduino Environment in Programming Orangutans and the 3pi Robot from the Arduino Environment, I also followed the instructions to install the drivers in 3.a. Installing Windows Drivers and Software which is to be found in 3. Getting Started in Windows

King regards
Nick Jung

Thanks for providing all the information to my questions!

I was able to successfully reproduce your error here. It looks like the Arduino IDE add-on for the Orangutans and 3pi Robot does not work with latest Arduino IDE version (2.0.0), specifically the “Pololu USB AVR Programmer” entry. I was able to successfully upload a sketch onto the 3pi robot using the Pololu USB AVR Programmer v2 and Arduino IDE 2.0.0 by setting the “Atmel STK500 development board” as the programmer entry (under the Tools menu in the IDE) and selecting the “Upload Using Programmer” option (under the Sketch menu or Ctrl+Shift+U).

Please try the “Upload Using Programmer” option and let us know if you have any more issues. We plan to update the instructions in the “Programming Orangutans and the 3pi Robot from the Arduino Environment” guide soon.

- Amanda

Awesome job! This perfectly works also for me! Have a nice day!

Greetings
Nick

1 Like