Pololu Step-Down Voltage Regulator D15V70F5S3 - No Output

I just received a Pololu Step-Down Voltage Regulator D15V70F5S3 and Its not supplying any power on the output side. I have 9volts connected to the input, which was tested with a multimeter. When I test the output I am getting nothing.

Hello.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your regulator. What is supplying the 9 volts? Do you measure 9V across the input when your supply is connected to the regulator? Can you check your solder connections to make sure they are good?

- Ryan

I have the exact same problem with 3 sets of these.

D15V35F5S3 (2110)

Two worked randomly, at best. The last one I assembled does not work at all.

I am using a 9 volt battery (2, brand new, 9.8v on multimeter). I am [trying to] use this step down regulator to power an Arduino Pro Micro that works fine on the USB connection and using a Dimension Engineering 5V 1A Switching voltage regulator.

I don’t want any more Pololu equipment. I’ve had it.

I’m struggling to stay positive here but I know many others in our robot building club who are also having problems with this particular product.

Something is up with quality control. I’ll be more than happy to ship my 3 converters to you so you can plug 9v into them and sort out the snafu.

Hello, BotBuilderMe.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with our regulators. We test every regulator before sending it out and we have sold hundreds of these regulators and have not generally had reported failure rates anywhere near what you are experiencing. If you are willing, I would like to take a little time to try to troubleshoot your system to see if we can solve the problem and get our regulator working well for you.

One property of the regulators that could explain your problem with it randomly working is that when power is applied, the input voltage rise time must not be more than a few milliseconds; otherwise, the regulator can latch in an error state that disables its output. Is there a chance this is happening with your system? Can you use an oscilloscope to look at the input and output voltages when you connect power?

How much current is your load trying to draw from the regulator output? 9V batteries are generally bad current sources, so if your load is demanding a lot of current it might not be keeping up. Here are some 9V battery discharge curves.

- Ryan