Pololu Micro Serial 8 Servo Controller - Wireless Controller?

Hello!

I’m here wondering if the Pololu Micro Serial 8 Servo Controller is capable of controlling
the 8 servos with some kind of wireless controller, (like a playstation controller for example.)

if not, could you recommend a servo controller that can?

Thanks for helping!

Hello.

That controller is not set up to control servos from a wireless device like your PlayStation controller, though it could be used in a system that does that. If you want to build your own, however, we generally recommend upgrading to one of our Maestro servo controllers, which are better in almost every way.

We do not have any particular recommendation for a suitable servo controller, but you can probably just search the Internet for something like “PS2 servo controller” and find some.

-Jon

1 Like

Thank you very much for your answer Jon!
I checked out the Maestro servo controllers and they seemed to be exactly what I was looking for!

However I want to be able to wirelessly control the servos. Is this possible by adding other parts? If so, what parts.

Thanks

Yes, like I mentioned in my initial reply, it is possible to control servos wirelessly with systems using a Maestro. However, you will have to build that system yourself; we do not have a straightforward way to accomplish it, and things get more complex if you want to use a PlayStation controller as an input, too.

One way people can make a wireless system is to use a pair of Wixels, which are general-purpose programmable modules featuring a 2.4 GHz radio. The Wixels operate at 3.3V, so to use them safely with a Maestro, which operates at 5V, you would need to use something like a logic-level shifter. You could then send TTL serial signals to the Maestro to get it to control servos. You can learn more about how that works inside the “Serial Interface” section of the Maestro’s user’s guide, which you can find under the “Resources” tab of its product page.

-Jon

1 Like

Thank you very much Jon!