Pololu IR Beacon Transceiver Pair Issue

Hey,
I have two Zumo32u4 bots. I want both of them to detect each other, hence I am using IR Beacon transceivers.

I soldered them up (as shown in attached video). When I apply 8 or 10V at + terminal of IR beacon and GND at - input terminals, nothing happens. Even the Green LED (as shown in the Product description of IR Beacon) does not blink and I am also not able to see the IR LEDs using a digital camera as well. What might be the issue?

As soon as I put 5V on the Enable pin, the Red LEDs blink alternately as in the video:-

Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong or why are IR Beacons not powering up?

Thanks,
Nischay

Hello, Nischay.

I am sorry you are having trouble with your IR beacons. From the blinking pattern in your video, it looks like the supply voltage is low. Can you use a multimeter to check the actual voltage of your 8 or 10V supply?

-Jon

Dear Jon,
Thanks for the reply.

I have already checked the voltage from the multi-meter and I am pretty sure it’s 8V (when I set the power supply at 8V) and 10V (when I set it at 10V).

Not sure what is the issue. Kindly assist.

Cheers,
Nischay

Well, the beacons are doing exactly what they do when the supply voltage is too low, so your “pretty sure” is not so reassuring. Can you do some additional measurements, or have someone check your work? Are you sure your power supply can handle the current the beacons need? Have you tried a different supply?

-Jon

Thanks, Jonathan for pointing me towards the additional measurements. I was able to rectify that issue.

Meanwhile, I just wanted to discuss another thing. In video 1, when the IR transceivers are assembled (as per instructions in the product description), they behave in an improper manner, and the RED led blinks without any specific pattern, and neither is detecting it’s a pair.

On the other hand, (as in video 2), when we put our hand in between the two transceivers, they seem to be working all good.

What might be the issue as I need to assemble them on Zumo32u4?

Cheers,
Nischay

That’s normal when you have the beacons so close to each other and in an environment where you can get a lot of light reflections (the IR they emit is really bright to get better performance at longer ranges). You can improve your results by putting some shielding around the sensors so they can only see in the direction they are facing.

-Jon