Pololu 5" Robot Chassis RRC04A Mounting

Hello, I am looking to use Odroid C4 as my SBC foor my robot. As it has the same mounting holes specification as Raspberry Pi, is it possible to mount it on Pololu 5" Robot Chassis RRC04A?

Thank you.

Hello.

The RRC04A 5" Robot Chassis does not have any mounting holes specifically intended for a Raspberry Pi, but you might be able to get 2 or more to line-up in a couple places. You might consider one of our Romi Chassis Kits instead. Like the RRC04A chassis, it has many general purpose mounting holes and slots; however, it also has some that specifically support the form factor and mounting hole locations used on the Raspberry Pi A+, Raspberry Pi B+, Raspberry Pi 2 Model B, Raspberry Pi 3 Model B, and Raspberry Pi 4. You can find more information about this in the “Dimensions and mounting holes” section of the Romi Chassis user’s guide.

I am not very familiar with the Odroid C4, but you might also consider our Romi 32U4 Control Board, which is designed to be assembled with a Romi chassis and has support to allow a compatible Raspberry Pi board to plug directly into it. In this setup, the Raspberry Pi can handle the high-level robot control while communicating with the Romi 32U4 Control Board via I2C and relying on it for low-level tasks, like running motors, reading encoders, and interfacing with other analog or timing-sensitive devices.

Brandon

Thank you for your suggestion. Will look in to the Romi chassis.
However, can I ask what is the exact advantage of using an additonal MCU for low-level task?
As I know, SBC can take care of it as well.

I am not familiar with the particular Odroid C4 single board computer you mentioned before, but the Raspberry Pi is not very good with timing-sensitive applications like reading quadrature encoders or generating hobby RC servo signals. Additionally it only has 2 hardware PWM pins, which could be limiting in some applications (but you could certainly use them to drive the 2 motors on the Romi Robot). The Romi 32U4 Control Board also has additional features built-in, such as a buzzer, 3 user pushbuttons, and a 3-axis accelerometer and gyro.

Brandon