Pololu 3pi dead

Dear Pololu support team
have a nice day

3pi is the fantastic robot I ever met

Unfortunately my 3pi isn’t working now and I don’t know the reason and it used last time by grate 7 student in school IT day

I observed it and both blue power led’s lit on it max bright that I assume no issue with power supply
Green user LED( PD7) at very weak bright

I tried several times to re program it using Arduino IDE but the program upload is failed but it is successfully upload my Arduino uno board using ICSP and I am using pololu USB AVR programmer. I am sure the process that I have done program upload is correct. I think MEGA328p do not detected by the programmer

Hoped you will able come solution with above details

please see the attached picture for better understand

I checked ir LED’s using my phone camera . All Ir LED’s lit on in equal brightness
Please advice next phase

Thanks in advance
Dayan

Hello, Dayan.

I’m sorry you are having trouble programming your 3pi. It sounds like the 3pi was working before, but just for added clarification, have you successfully loaded programs on to it with the Arduino IDE before? If you are using a Windows computer, can you try running the Pololu USB AVR Programmer Configuration Utility after attempting to program your 3pi and post a screenshot of the utility window here?

- Amanda

Hello Amanda,

Have a nice day and thanks for the reply
Yes, 3pi was working before and I was used Atmel Studio6 for first time programming. I am using windows computer. I tried to program it using USB AVR Programmer but it was field with Arduino IDE

Please see the attached screen shot for Configuration utility program reading
Utility

I think it sound like Atmega 328 issue.So please advice clarify it myself

USB AVR Programmer Configuration Utility reading just after 3pi uploading by Arduino IED

Thanks in advance
Dayan

From your screenshot of the Pololu USB AVR Programmer Configuration Utility, it is not clear if you ran the utility immediately after attempting to program your 3pi with the Arduino IDE. If you received any errors in the Arduino IDE when attempting to program your 3pi, can you copy the entire output and post it here?

You mentioned successfully using Atmel Studio 6 to program the 3pi. Are you still able to use Atmel Studio 6 to upload programs on to the 3pi? If not, can you post screenshots of any errors you get and another screenshot of the configuration utility? Please make sure to immediately run the Configuration Utility after attempting to program your 3pi.

- Amanda

Please see the attached for Fuse reading error from Atmel Studio 7

Arduino error at uploading

Arduino Result

Sketch uses 8412 bytes (25%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32768 bytes.
Global variables use 296 bytes (14%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1752 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: ser_open(): can’t open device “\.\COM7”: Access is denied.

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.
Invalid library found in C:\Program Files\Arduino\libraries\arduino_four_universes_dmx_library_0.3: C:\Program Files\Arduino\libraries\arduino_four_universes_dmx_library_0.3
Invalid library found in C:\Program Files\Arduino\libraries\Makeblock-Libraries-master: C:\Program Files\Arduino\libraries\Makeblock-Libraries-master
Invalid library found in C:\Program Files\Arduino\libraries\SdFat-master: C:\Program Files\Arduino\libraries\SdFat-master
Invalid library found in C:\Program Files\Arduino\libraries\arduino_four_universes_dmx_library_0.3: C:\Program Files\Arduino\libraries\arduino_four_universes_dmx_library_0.3
Invalid library found in C:\Program Files\Arduino\libraries\Makeblock-Libraries-master: C:\Program Files\Arduino\libraries\Makeblock-Libraries-master
Invalid library found in C:\Program Files\Arduino\libraries\SdFat-master: C:\Program Files\Arduino\libraries\SdFat-master

Please advice

Thanks
Dayan

Hello any updates please

At this point, it does look like your AVR programmer is unable to communicate with your 3pi. It is possible that one or more of the ISP connections are damaged. You mentioned verifying that your AVR programmer works by uploading a program onto your Arduino Uno. Just to be certain, if you have access to another 3pi, can you try programming that with the AVR programmer? Also, how long was the problematic 3pi working before?

By the way, I noticed in your second post that you added another screenshot of the Configuration Utility after I had posted my response. In the future, please let me know when you add more details to your previous posts so that I am aware of the new information.

- Amanda

Hello

I checked the all the connections from ISP header ( 6 pins ) to AVR pins using multi tester. and found all the connections are connected properly. Which confirm fault around AVR . If am correct… with faulty Crystal I think AVR does not response for AVR programmer …Right ?

Please advice to diagnostics rest of the fault

At the same time please advice the correct part number and correct package of AVR

I am sorry I could not have another 3pi to test out

Thanks in advance

There is no crystal on the 3pi, but there is an on-board resonator located to the left of the ATmega328P chip on the underside of the 3pi with the reflectance sensors positioned at the top. If the resonator is no longer working, then yes, it could cause the AVR to not respond to the programmer, however, it is not exactly clear if that is the issue.

How did you verify the connections between the ISP header pins and the AVR pins? Can you list the pins you checked or post a picture showing which pins you tested?

You mentioned that the 3pi was last used by a 7th grade student. What was the last thing they tried to do with 3pi before it became unresponsive?

- Amanda

Hello Amanda I am extremely sorry to answer old tropic
March 2018 is our Annual exhibition and our head of the department asked about this 3pi robot

Answer for the your last question, please see the attached picture that is showing connection between ICSP header and Micro controller pin connectivity that I measured using multi tester result was zero ohms.

As per the student this 3pi touch with 4 wheel robot but it was worked after the that accident but later it become to this situation

please advice

Thanks in advance
Dayan

Can you clarify what you mean by the “3pi touch with 4 wheel robot”? Did the 3pi robot run into or make electrical contact with the other robot? Also, can you provide more details on how you determined that the 3pi was working after the accident? Was the 3pi working up until you tried reprogramming it?

- Amanda

Hello Amada Thanks for the reply

It was our school IT day. So students were presenting their activities to other students. Therefore they used two 4 wheel Bluetooth controlled robot and one 3pi robot( This 3pi). while they ware driving the Bluetooth control robot on the table. One of the Bluetooth controlled robot and 3pi antecedent face to face. But as per the student the 3pi had been worked after the accident. Later on the same day 3pi dead and when students return the 3pi next day just after the IT day the 3pi was dead. This is the story behind it. So please advice to diagnostic the fault to rectify exact fault.

The 3pi did not work when I received from the students. Then I tried to re program it, but it did not recognize the programmer both Atmel Studio 6 and 7 and Arduino IDE

Thanks in advance

At this point, it sounds like the 3pi was most likely damaged during the collision. However, I did not see any visible signs of damage from the pictures in your first post, so trying to pinpoint what exactly was damaged will be difficult. If you email us directly at support@pololu.com with your sales order information and a reference to this thread, we can see what we can do to help you out.

- Amanda

Dear Amanda,

Thanks for the reply

Please check the mail that I sent with sale order and reference of this forum link

Please advice

Thanks in advance

Dayan

Dear AmandaS

Have a nice day!

After long time our 3pi worked once the new 328p been replaced with 4Mhz crystal. I think existing resonator may damaged. I replaced same 16mhz SMD crystal but it did not work. However when I replaced through hole Crystal ( 4mhZ) it is working . Please advice to buy a resonator or crystal

Thanks i advanced
Dayan

Did you include the appropriate external capacitors with your crystal, and do you have your fuses for your new AVR configured properly to use the crystal? By the way, we manufacture the 3pi with a 20 MHz resonator (which has the necessary capacitors built in).

- Amanda