Pinout of the usb orangutan programmer

hi, i want to program an atmel microcontroller with the usb orangutan programmer and need to know the exact pinout of the devic, eg

mosi
miso
reset
clk
gnd
vcc

thanx.

Hello,

Please take a look at this drawing with the programming pins numbered in the user’s guide. Here is what the pins are:

1. MISO
  2. VDD
  3. SCK
  4. MOSI
  5. NOT RST
  6. GND

- Ryan

NOT RST? Does this mean you do not connect it to the RESET pin of a standard AVR controller? I just purchased a programmer but can’t get it to work. AVR Studio says “Setting mode and device parameters…OK!”, “Entering programming mode…FAILED!”, “Leaving programming mode…FAILED!” I am connecting it to the reset pin which is also connected to the 5V through a 4K7 pull up resistor. Should I be pulling the reset pin low with a button instead?

Hello Brewmanchu,

No. NOT RESET means that a high voltage on this pin will mean the controller is not reset and a low voltage means it is reset. The pin on the AVR is called NOT RESET (sometimes RESET with a horizontal bar over it), not RESET.

Are you using the AVR USB programmer? or the USB Orangutan Programmer?

Are you powering your AVR? The programmer does not power the AVR.

- Ryan

Thank you for your response. I just found that one of the pins of the header I was using was cracked inside the plastic part. I simply pushed wires into the connector and the breadboard and it works now. Nice little programmer :slight_smile: