Pid control using rc switch

Hi All,

I am using the Pololu RC Switch with Small Low-Side MOSFET (Link - Pololu RC Switch with Small Low-Side MOSFET) in order to operate my dc motor (Link - Pololu - 10:1 Metal Gearmotor 37Dx65L mm 24V with 64 CPR Encoder (Helical Pinion) ) using PWM and arduino.

is it possible to do position control with pid control using this switch only? or do I have to use an h bridge ?

thanks a lot !

Omri.

Hello.

The output on the RC Switch with Small Low-Side MOSFET is either on (connecting the supply to the load) or off, so it cannot reverse the polarity of the outputs to drive the motor in the opposite direction like a full H-bridge driver, which would almost certainly be required for accurate position control. Additionally, it is probably not an appropriate choice for doing anything other than simply turning on or off (i.e. trying to toggle it quickly enough to emulate some kind of PWM speed control would not be practical).

We generally recommend our High-Power Motor Drivers for those motors, but you can also find several other appropriate options described under the “Gearmotor accessories” heading of the motor’s product page.

Brandon