Orangutan Upload Error

Hi everyone,

I am using a Orangutan ORG01A microcontroller and I am trying to get the program to flash to the EEPROM. I have the AVRISP programmer, and a nice little 5.5V power supply.

I have opened the makefile and demo file from pololu.com/products/pololu/0125/winavr.html

The build goes fine with no errors produced. And now I’m fighting to get it to program VIA programmers notepad. The makefile has been adjusted to reflect the correct com port, and the settings in PFE are directly from the site.

The board was used by another student and has another program on it currently. The output I get from PFE is:

“make.exe” program
avrdude -p atmega8 -P com4 -c avrisp -U flash:w:orangutan.hex
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
make.exe: *** [program] Error 1

Process Exit Code: 2
Time Taken: 00:11

I know the port is fine, because I can flash any of a half dozen other controllers I have.

Any input would be much appreciated. My email contact is LostInTheDesign@gmail.com

Hello,

Can you get any help from the other student that was using the Orangutan before you? It helps if you can compare your setup to a working one, and you could try swapping programmers between the two setups to verify that your programmer works.

Another thing you could try is to connect to the AVRISP through AVR studio, the free development environment from Atmel.

- Jan

The other student is unfortunately on the other side of the world, literally. So contact with him is out of the question. I’ll try the AVRstudio and let you know, but it seems that everything else is in place to programm right to the board. Thanks for the start though, I’ll give Studio a shot.