Orangutan SVP-324 + HMC5883L over I2C

I’ve been fighting with this for most of the weekend and have decided to give in and ask for help. :laughing:

I’m trying to read the values off an HMC5883L compass using I2C and my Orangutan SVP-324.

Info about the compass @ sparkfun.com/products/10530
Datasheet @ dl.dropbox.com/u/90439/compass.pdf
Electrically the connections are like in this diagram, using a breadboard: asciiflow.com/#8319357954637989698/786766514

Hopefully that makes sense. Basically I’ve got a 3.3V regulator hooked into the 5V out of my SVP, and the 3.3V out goes into the compass. There’s a 10k resistor on both SDA and SCL between the 3.3V and the relevant pins on the SVP.

My code is @ pastebin.com/8bF1KnZA it uses Fleury’s i2cmaster.h & twimaster.c

That’s as basic as I can get, as far as I can tell, from reading the data sheet.

I’ve got some of the nice NiMH batteries powering the board; that all looks fine.

So, the problem is that whenever I try to read from the compass, I only get back -1’s :frowning:

I can’t tell if I’m misreading the data sheet, doing dumb things with the values I’m getting back, or what.

If I plug this into an Arduino I have laying around and run the sample code from bildr.org/2012/02/hmc5883l_arduino/ everything works perfectly :imp:

Can anybody help? I bet I did something very simple wrong.

Hello.

I haven’t checked your code very carefully but the schematic you drew makes it look like you are shorting the SVP’s SCL and SDA lines directly to 5V, which will not work and could damage the SVP permanently.

–David

Sorry, that diagram is pretty bad now that I look at it. Maybe this way will make more sense:

Compass SDA & SVP SDA -> breadboard row #1
Compass SCL & SVP SCL -> breadboard row #2

SVP GND & 3.3V reg GND -> breadboard row #8
          3.3V reg Vo  -> breadboard row #9
SVP  5V & 3.3V reg Vin -> breadboard row #10

100k Resistor between rows #1 & #9
100k Resistor between rows #2 & #9

I also tried 4.7k resistors, but that didn’t help. If I read the compass datasheet correctly I think I’ve got the resistors in the right place; I don’t get past i2c_init() without them.

A reading of -1 means that your code read a value of 0xFF for both bytes, which means the SDA line was high the entire time, and that is a pretty good sign that the chip is not sending any data if it happens consistently.

I looked at your code and I see a few problems with your I2C operations. First, you need to call i2c_stop to terminate each transfer; you need to add calls to that function after lines 27, 31, and 35, and after your read loop on lines 50-52.

Second, you need to acknowledge each byte received from the device besides the last (by using i2c_readAck) to let it know that you are requesting more data.

Third, I don’t think you should be writing 0x06 on line 48. It’s strange since the HMC5883L datasheet actually seems to tell you to do that, but as far as I know, the address is the only thing a master should be sending to a slave during a read transfer. (The Arduino code from bildr does not send this 0x06).

With all of those in mind, I think your code from lines 47-52 should look like the following:

i2c_start(COMPASS + I2C_READ);

for (i = 0; i < 5; i++) {
                        buffer[i] = i2c_readAck();
                }
                buffer[5] = i2c_readNak();
                i2c_stop();

(If it doesn’t work without i2c_write(0x06), you could try putting it back in.)

- Kevin

Yeah, you might say that :unamused:

After implementing your changes I started getting some values back, but they’d alternate between things like [104, 130, -124] and [27135, -31744, -31]. They were essentially random.

Funny story; that part was almost correct. Before reading I do need to write 0x06! But I shouldn’t have been trying to write and read in the same transaction. Writing 0x06, then starting a read transaction turned the random numbers from above very consistent :sunglasses:

If anybody coming here via Google in the future is curious; this is the final code that seems to be working pretty well for me: pastebin.com/1TtW2yS0

Thanks for all your help Kevin & David! Best customer support in the industry by far :smiley:

Great, I am glad to hear you got it working.

- Kevin