Orangutan and Baby-O - Vcc max current?

I’ve got a Baby-O and an Orangutan. On the Baby-O it looks like Vcc can source about 100mA, including the power required by the Baby-O itself. Is this about right?

Is this also true of the Orangutan? Reading the datasheet for the voltage regulator it looks like that’s the case, but I wanted to check before I made a mistake.

Reason I’m asking is one project I’m working on, each sensor I’m hanging off the Baby-O will draw 50mA. So I was planning on having a 7805 to provide +5V for them. I wanted to find out if this was going to be a similar concern with the Orangutan.

Thanks,

Tom

Hello,

The LP2950 is good for about 100 mA, so you will indeed need a separate regulator if you have multiple 50 mA loads.

- Jan

Good to know.

I still don’t 100% trust that 50mA number for those sensors. I haven’t had a chance to hook one up to an ammeter, but I’ll do that before going too far with this design.

Thanks!

Tom

Depending on the sensor, you might get very different and time-varying currents, which an ammeter wouldn’t show. You can put a small resistor in line with the power supply and look at the voltage drop (or just use a current probe, if you have access to one) on an oscilloscope. A few capacitors and correctly sequenced power use can let you get much more out of your power budget.

- Jan