One Zumo32u4 robot following another zumo32u4 robot

Hello, I am new here. I recently ordered two Zumo32u4 robots.

I want the first robot to follow the second robot. Can someone please suggest the best way to implement it?

Please help. All suggestions are appreciated.

Hello.

There are proximity sensors built-in to the Zumo32U4 robots that you might be able to use for that. However, the Zumo 32U4 was not designed with that particular functionality in mind, so any successful robot following system using those sensors would likely be fairly basic. One way you might consider implementing that is with something similar to our old IR beacon transceiver pair, which was designed to give two robots a simple means for detecting each other.

-Jon

Thanks, Jon for the quick reply. Really appreciate it. :slight_smile:

I have read all modules related to Zumo32u4 robot and IR Beacon Transceiver pair. Unfortunately, I did not find any module showing integration between the two. Can you please assist me regarding the same? (i.e Any sample generic video or tutorial or reading module) would be really helpful demonstrating how IR Beacon pairs can be integrated efficiently (like Sample code, which pins to use in main board etc.).

Also, since I am using Zumo32u4 robots and I will be mounting IR Beacon pairs on it, is there any hardware available through which it becomes easier to mount the transceiver pairs on top of the main zumo board? It will have to be mounted at some height to make sure it works properly, right?

Looking forward to your reply.

Cheers,
Nischay

We do not have any hardware for mounting the IR beacon to the Zumo 32U4, nor do we have any tutorials or resources that show how to use them together. However, we describe how to use the IR beacon on its product page, and both it and Zumo 32U4 have user’s guides, which you can find under the Resources tab of each of their respective product pages. If, after reading through what information is available for them, you have any specific questions about how to use them, let me know and I can see if I can help.

-Jon

Thanks again Jon for all the assistance.

Just a quick questions though - the operating voltage of IR Beacon is 6 -16V. So any recommended external battery source? As it won’t we possible to power it with Zumo robot (VBAT or VREG), right?

Cheers,
Nischay

A 2S or 3S LiPo or a 6 or 7-cell rechargeable NiMH battery pack are a few examples of appropriate power supplies for those IR beacons.

By default, the Zumo 32U4 does not have a way to supply a voltage that is appropriate for those IR beacons. However, the hardware on the Zumo 32U4 allows you to use higher voltage supplies than the nominal 6V that 4 AA batteries would provide (the Zumo 32U4 can accept a battery input voltage from 2.7 V to 10 V). So, for example, instead of using 4 AA batteries you could supply power to your Zumo 32U4 from a 2S LiPo. Then, VBAT would be equal to the voltage of that LiPo (which is nominally 7.4V), and that would be appropriate to use for those IR beacons. You can learn more about alternative power sources for the Zumo 32U4 under the “Power” section of it’s user’s guide, which you can find under the Resources tab of it’s product page.

-Jon