New Product: DRV8825 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier

I’d love to give them ago

I currently have a RepRap Huxley, and 4 Mendels to hand. Only the Huxley and one of the Mendels runs on a Ramps and can take the board. I’m an active member of core RepRap team and have worked with RepRaps every day for the past 4 years.

Cheers
Rhys

I’m working on a large-scale 3d printer (around 1000mm x 600mm x 500mm at this point) and was looking to making my own boards with some of STs stepper driver chips. These look like they may do just as well.

I have all the equipment and expertise to test stepper drivers and have even made a stepper driver tester to automatically test the earlier drivers.

My webpage and current pictures of my machine are at: ottersoft.ca/blog/?p=297

In total I would be interested in 10 devices. 4 to run my printer and 6 which I will use to test upper current limits and for other hopefully non-destructive and possibly some destructive tests.

Thank you for your consideration.

Thank you for all of the responses!

lseidman and tsVestor, I appreciate your interest, but so far you have not really made as compelling of a case for samples as the others. Do you want to add anything to make a stronger argument, such as pictures of your 3D printers?

I have sent the rest of you emails about your sample requests.

- Ben

Hi,

is the offer still open?
I’m a mechatronics student in my fifth semester at the University of applied sciences Deggendorf, Germany. I’ve built five printers so far (Mendel, Prusa, Max, two 90s), two of which i’m in charge of operating and maintaining at my University. Of course, we have pretty much any equipment you can think of available for testing the driver board(s).
This is my newest build, my oversized and rock-solid Mendel90 that will eventually double as a light-duty CNC mill.
dl.dropbox.com/u/16628890/2012- … .13.39.jpg
dl.dropbox.com/u/16628890/2012- … .14.15.jpg
and my Google Plus page with a handful RepRap-related posts:
plus.google.com/101189457349966331973/posts

Best regards,
Thomas Sanladerer

Hi, Thomas.

I have sent you an email about your request.

- Ben

Hello,

Are boards for testing still available? I’d like to request stepper boards.

My recently finished Rostock 3D printer build is undergoing a revision of build UP in height and runs a RAMPS 1.4 with StepStick boards.

I’ve been building and learning for over a year and have two 3D printer designs in the works. I’d like to run your new boards on the present Rostock and then possibly place them into one of the two new 3D printer designs under development.

I’ve also been building an InMoov robot which is using a Pololu Maestro 18 for servos in the hands. The robot will be requring more motors for the arms/torso which would be a good use for the new Pololu boards. Hairygael, the robot developer, has graced me with recognition of my efforts building and presentatiing InMoov at the Pittsburgh Maker Faire 2012 on his blog: inmoov.blogspot.com/ See two separate posts on his blog page. Once in the middle then again at bottom.

My lab consists of:
Six 3D printers in various stages of operation - 4 FDM and 2 DLP printers. Scopes, irons, old drives, wave generators, proto-boards, wires, heaters, resins, and more parts for the next builds.

And there is another Pololu use in a Delta Robot test bed where a Micro Maestro 6 is operating.

Lastly, it would be fun to show off your boards at HackPittburgh when the printers and bots come out.

Best Regards,

Brian Stott
Pittsburgh, PA

I would be happy to test some out. I currently have a couple Sanguinololu boards, a couple Gen7 boards, each a different version and some of my own design. I am the developer of the Gen7T board and Sanguish board ( hope that doesn’t count against me :slight_smile:

I have an original Makerbot Cupcake and a gen1 Prusa Mendel to test on. In addition I am working on a couple other designs of my own. I also have a large assortment of Nema 17 and 21 motors both new and surplus on which to test.

I have a fairly well stocked electronics workshop including an analog oscilloscope, multi-meters, signal generators, and circuit board etching equipment.

In addition I am currently running the Race to the Bottom contest. If you decide to provide a set of four I will add them to the prize pool after testing them myself, so you would get two testers for the price of one.

Bryan

Hello.

Ben is currently out of the office, and will likely be able to get back to you next week about these samples.

I’m developer, maintainer and one of the distributors of RepRap Generation 7 Electronics and would be interested in checking this carrier for compatibility. One or two boards would be sufficient as I have no doubt a A4983-based driver on one axis continues to work while another axis is equipped with the new solution.

My email is mah@jump-ing.de .

First impressions of the driver in my blog: http://fightpc.blogspot.com.es/2012/11/driver-update.html

Happy camper here.

Good morning

I’m from South Africa and have two active development projects where I see this product as fitting in nicely, so would like to request a few samples.

1. OpenHardware.co.za is in the process of developing a ARM based Desktop CNC Controller running on Freescale Cortex M4 CPUs. This will fit in nicely and the modularity will make it easier to swop out if something goes wrong. Also, the CNC must be able to mill PCBs, so the 1/32 microstep was a big wishlist item which now seems easy to achieve!

2. We would like to test these with our involvement in SARSA (South African Space Research Association) as a suitable stepper driver for their robotics projects

3. We are working on a MarulaPrint 3D printer controller (Atmel AVRs based) - where the 1/32 microstep can be a very good advantage as well. These currently run Pololu 1182 Stepper carriers, so would be good to see how the equavilent swop would be

Some of my work:
www.openhardware.co.za - would like to add a few Pololu items to the store soon, will contact your distribution department to start the ball rolling.
www.itux.co.za - regular blog about the hacking stuff we do
www.house4hack.co.za - blog about the 3D printers, and if you go back a few pages the CNC projects
I am also active on the Reprap forums and Wiki as “peter6960”

Many thanks, and holding thumbs. Can’t wait to test and blog about these!
Regards

Peter

Hi guys.

I think we can spare a few more samples, but I’ll need to look into it and get back to you. In the meantime, I thought you might be interested in our upcoming Black Friday Sale. Some of our stepper motors and all of our stepper motor drivers, including our original A4988 carrier, our new Black Edition, and the DRV8825 carrier, will be pretty heavily discounted during the sale!

- Ben

I’d love to get my hands one some of these for testing. I had previously run into missed steps with the original A4988 even with active cooling (when turning up the speed) on my MendelMax. Eventually I had to buy new motors with lower current rating, but I would love to test these and see what they can do when the speed goes up.

I’m also planning to add some automation to my pontoon boat project. In this project I will be controlling the boat with my phone and eventually a drive by wire system in the dash of the boat. The steering system will be driven with stepper motors and it requires more power than the A4988 can handle. You can see pictures of both my printer and the boat project here: flickr.com/photos/73973593@N … 000331117/

Hi,

If the free sample offer is still good I have and online store in Australia would love to test them out to stock.

3dprinterbits.com.au.

Regards
Michael

Hello.

We are no longer giving away samples, but we did recently reduce prices and add more quantity breaks, which should make it a bit easier for you to try out a few.

- Ben

Hi Ryan,

i saw your post in reprap forums. im not well known, do not have a website and rather new in the reprap arena. i have posted some simple experiments and short clips on u-stepping with diff stepsticks. (forums.reprap.org/file.php?219,f … 99-1-1.mp4)

i am really curious how your 8825 will do, and of course i have destroyed a few 4983/4988 previously. especially on how 8825 will fair in 1/32 u-step.

it will be really nice if i can try 1 of the low sense R version (i assume is 0.05ohm?) and 1 of the higher sense R version (0.2ohm?), i be happy to pin up some videos of the 1/32 operation in matching them up with diff steppers. i will be getting some 400step/rev steppers to try out too (these are 100ozin++ rated @ 0.38A, so likely i might mod 1 of your samples to an even higher R sense, maybe 0R3?).

i hope im not too late to request for samples. but if so in the case i am out of luck, will “testers” get to buy some at special rates? :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile:

mmm mis-steps, i have had some really useful tips from nophead on those. check this out, shows some mis-steps in 1 of the experiement done. forums.reprap.org/read.php?219,148106

Hi, redreprap.

It is too late. Ben announced that it was over in the post right above yours.

- Ryan

ah ok :smiley:

just curious. how many lucky units went out? i wonder if any1 would like to share some after their initial trails …

Hi, redreprap.

I’d prefer not to say how many were sent out. Some people posted their results in this thread and the one on the RepRap forum.

- Ryan