New Orangutan SVP-1284: 128KB flash and 16KB RAM

Hello all!

We’re excited to announce the release of the Orangutan SVP-1284 robot controller featuring the brand new Atmel ATmega1284P AVR microcontroller! With 128KB of program memory, 16KB of RAM, and 4KB of EEPROM, the SVP-1284 offers a serious memory boost over other Orangutan robot controllers. The Orangutan SVP-1284 is a super-sized version of the Orangutan SV, with a built-in AVR ISP programmer, more I/O lines, and more regulated power. It features higher-power dual motor drivers (2 A continuous per channel, 6 A peak), a bigger 16x2 LCD (with backlight), a demultiplexer for easy control of up to eight servos, and more.

The Orangutan SVP-1284 is available as a fully assembled version for $99.95 or a partial kit (without the LCD) for $89.95. We have reduced the price of the ATmega324PA-based Orangutan SVP-324 (32KB flash, 2KB RAM) to $84.95 for the fully assembled version and $74.95 for the partial kit.

- Ben

Hi Ben,

How do I access the EEPROM of SVP 1284? I just wanted to save some values in there for configuration purposes that won’t be erased when I turn off the SVP.

thanks

Hello.

You can use the winavr EEPROM functions documented here: nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-man … eprom.html

Please let me know if you still have any questions.

- Ben

Thanks Ben,

Is there something in the EEPROM (Memory space) I shouldn’t mess up which are being used by pololu? or I can used the whole EEPROM space?

Thanks again,

The Pololu AVR library doesn’t use EEPROM at all, so you can use the whole space without worrying about potential conflict.

- Ben

thanks a lot Ben,

Hi Ben,

I just wanted to asked - Do you have an Eagle footprint of SVP-1284? I wanted to create an extra PCB for additional functions.

thanks,

jlake

We don’t have an Eagle footprint, but we should be able to get you a DXF with the key hole locations if you email your request to us directly. What do you plan on including on this expansion PCB?

- Ben

Ben,

The footprint will be for our expanded board. The added electronic parts are only for near infrared LED drivers and some op amps for the detectors. I have been using SVP for quite some time on most of our work in agricultural automation - Automatic Tine control, Six band trigger and etc. But with all those wires running inside the box is a bit to messy.

Thanks for the positive response - will email you shortly.

jlake

Hi Ben,

I just received a sample chip Atmega1284 and also the PIC - PIC18F14K50. I am planning to build a small version of SVP - minus the motor driver and servo. Can I use your firmware for your PIC18F14K50? If so, how do I go over with it? Do I need another software for that?

Thanks,

jlake.

[quote=“Ben”]We don’t have an Eagle footprint, but we should be able to get you a DXF with the key hole locations if you email your request to us directly. What do you plan on including on this expansion PCB?

- Ben[/quote]

Unfortunately, we are not making the SVP’s PIC firmware public. Are you just trying to make something that functions roughly like an Orangutan SVP, or are you trying to make something that fully emulates an Orangutan SVP (e.g. works with the SVP drivers and Pololu AVR libraries)?

- Ben

Hi Ben,

I am planning to emulate an Orangutan SVP (drivers and libraries) but wanted to get rid of the motor drivers and servo and add an option of using other peripherals, e.g. SD Card, Ethernet and etc.

jlake

[quote=“Ben”]Unfortunately, we are not making the SVP’s PIC firmware public. Are you just trying to make something that functions roughly like an Orangutan SVP, or are you trying to make something that fully emulates an Orangutan SVP (e.g. works with the SVP drivers and Pololu AVR libraries)?

- Ben[/quote]