Need help with VL53L0X Time-of-Flight Distance Sensor

Hi all,
This is my first post so please forgive any etiquette mistakes.

I’ve just received one of these sensors and connected it up to an Arduino. I’ve loaded the ‘single’ sketch as provided with the library, but when I run it all I get is ‘65535 TIMEOUT’ in the serial monitor. All of the forum posts I’ve read deal with problems around using multiple sensors but I have only one connected.

I’d greatly appreciate any help / advice with this.

Thanking you in advance.

Hello.

I am sorry you are having a problem with that sensor. Can you post pictures that show how you have the board connected to your development board (including any soldered connections you made)?

-Nathan

Hi Nathan,
Thank you for the prompt response.
Please see images below.
Regards,
Dan.

Thanks for posting those pictures. It looks like the solder on your VIN pin is balled around the pin and not wetting the pad on the PCB, which can create an unreliable connection. Can you try retouching that connection and the GND connection? The Adafruit Guide to Excellent Soldering has some tips for reworking joints like that in the “Common Problems” section.

-Nathan

Hi Nathan,

No joy, I’m afraid. Everything has been re-soldered and still getting the error.

Regards,

G.

Perhaps one of the wires is not making a good connection. Swap them out one by one and test, or test each connection for continuity with your multimeter.

Hi, and thanks for replying. Note that the display module beside it (also I2C) is working fine so I think all the connections should be OK. I’ll take a look with a scope tomorrow to see if the I2C data and clock are getting to the board.

Hi All,

Thanks Jim, one of my jumper wires was open circuit. All good now :slight_smile. Thanks again.

G.

1 Like

I am glad to hear you were able to solve the problem. Thanks for letting us know what it was.

-Nathan