Need help compiling 3PI simple test program

I had the following error when running the 3pi simple test program:
It looks like it couldn’t find some file, but I need help with what to do now…
#############################
Build started 23.1.2009 at 20:14:13
avr-gcc -mmcu=atmega168 -Wall -gdwarf-2 -std=gnu99 -Os -funsigned-char -funsigned-bitfields -fpack-struct -fshort-enums -MD -MP -MT test.o -MF dep/test.o.d -c …/test.c
avr-gcc -mmcu=atmega168 -Wl,-gc-sections -Wl,-Map=test.map test.o -lpololu -o test.elf
c:/winavr-20081205/bin/…/lib/gcc/avr/4.3.2/…/…/…/…/avr/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lpololu
make: *** [test.elf] Error 1
Build failed with 1 errors and 0 warnings…
##############################
I don’t have any file named lpololu on the drive, so I’m thinking “-lpololu” it is a compiler switch using the “-L” prefix…?

My install procedure was:

1. In the Atmel IDE folder, run:
    astudio4b623.exe
    to install AVRStudio 4

2. In the WinAVR folder, run:
    Win-20081205-install.exe

3. Plug in Orangutan
    In the cp2102 folder, run:
    cp2102_drivers\pololuUSBInstaller.exe
    Everything seemed to install normally and the IDE came up fine.
    My screen looked like the figure on page 16 of 70 in the User’s Guide.

Hello,
Sorry that you’re having trouble getting the demo programs to work. To use them, you’ll need to install the Pololu library by following the instructions here:

https://www.pololu.com/docs/0J21/6.a

That’s what is referred to by the linker option -lpololu - it causes your code to be linked with a C library named “pololu”. Please let us know if you have more trouble!

-Paul

I am also having the same issue while trying to build the simple-test-3pi.

I also have a message that shows up when I first open the simeple-test-3p1.
Loaded plugin STK500
Loaded plugin AVR GCC
Loaded partfile: C:\Program Files\Atmel\AVR Tools\PartDescriptionFiles
Error Code: -2147467259:

Then when I try to build the project I get:
Build started 24.1.2009 at 13:52:33
avr-gcc -mmcu=atmega168 -Wall -gdwarf-2 -std=gnu99 -Os -funsigned-char -funsigned-bitfields -fpack-struct -fshort-enums -MD -MP -MT test.o -MF dep/test.o.d -c …/test.c
avr-gcc -mmcu=atmega168 -Wl,-gc-sections -Wl,-Map=test.map test.o -lpololu -o test.elf
c:/winavr-20081205/bin/…/lib/gcc/avr/4.3.2/…/…/…/…/avr/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lpololu
make: *** [test.elf] Error 1
Build failed with 1 errors and 0 warnings…

I did follow the install instructions and I do have the pololu directory in my include directory. And I have the libpololu.a file in the lib directory.

The version I am using is WinAVR-20081205.

Please help.

Think I found it. I put my libpololu.a file in the wrong lib directory. I had it in C:\WinAVR-20081205\lib. When I moved it to C:\WinAVR-20081205\avr\lib the error went away.