Need advice on what to order for a project

I need to investigate quadrature decoding of multiple encoders. I was very interested in the magnetic encoder pair that is for sale here. I could just purchase a couple of motors and the encoders and go from there, but I figured why not make something that I might be able to use in the future. So a few questions come to mind.
First, is there some set of parts that someone would suggest I buy assuming a don’t have an infinite budget?

Looking at the robotic offerings I think a Zumo Chassis Kit and a couple of motors and the encoders might get me started.

Next question: If I go that way will the motors that work with the encoders fit the Zumo?
I see a plethora of things that might be motor controllers but no way to figure out which might go with what motor.
Last question, if I follow this thread, which motor should I use? I have no way to evaluate the choices. I don’t have a specific purpose, so I just want something that will move around at a reasonable speed.
Very last question, what am I missing? I have a Teensy 3.1 I’ll be using to work with the encoders.

And please don’t answer with something like “You can use any motor you want” :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Jim.

Hi, Jim

The product page for the Zumo Chassis kit gives specific recommendations for motors. See pololu.com/product/1418

To add encoders, order motors with the extended rear shaft. If you search through the forum, you will see a few posts where people have fitted motor/encoder combinations to the Zumo chassis. You will also need a motor controller, which the Teensy does not feature. You might consider the Baby Orangutan as an inexpensive alternative, as it does feature a suitable motor controller. pololu.com/product/1220

The Baby Orangutan can be programmed via the Arduino environment and has plenty of IO to handle the encoders and other sensors.

Hi, Jim,

Thanks for the quick response. I reviewed the referenced page and determined a motor that would apparently work is the 2361 but it doesn’t have the extended shaft. I found the 2380 which seems to be the same thing but with the extended shaft. I searched the forum as you suggested but didn’t find any references to a solution with the new magnetic encoders, just the optical ones. Since my need is for a platform to demonstrate,develop and experiment with quadrature encoding of multiple devices on the Teensy I can’t change processors. I also like to try new things so I’ll give the magnetic variety a try unless someone says otherwise.

So would this parts list give me everything I need?

2x 2380 Motor
1x 2130 DRV8833 carier
1 Zumo Kit
1 2598 Encoder Pair (Magnetic)

Or is there something better?

Hello.

The micro metal gearmotors with extended shaft work with the Zumo chassis. The parts you selected seem like a good choice to use with the Teensy.

- Jeremy