MSP430 LaunchPad (MSP-EXP430G2)

Hi,

The MSP430 launchpad is a very cheap alternative to the arduino, it would be nice to see it available in your store :wink:

processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php … nchpadwiki

I own one of these units and although it is really nice for only $4.30, I would think why it’s not taking off very much is that it is pretty limiting as to what you are able to do with it. Especially for a new user to try and learn the ins and outs of code composer. It is a fun unit to play with, but I wouldn’t say even use it as an alternative to the arduino.

Hi Travism,

I use to like the arduinos also but…

The arduinos have a design flaw. I contacted the arduino team and some of their distributors and got the run around from all of them except Pololu who did the right thing and put a warning on the product page: Pololu Arduino Hardware Bug I believe the arduino team and their close distributors just wont stand by their product and I will never buy another one.

Not sure why you think it’s not taking off, they have been selling out constantly and are having a hard time keeping up with the demand. yes,It is a bit harder to learn especially if you learned arduino first :unamused: It just takes some time to rethink your approach. I was able to port my arduino project to the launchpad without much difficulty even though I was sure I’d run out of space. However if you need something more powerful Texas Instruments are releasing compatible chips with more memory and more features so if you needed you could spend a few dollars more and just drop in a better chip but I have found the stock chip seems to be good for most arduino type projects that beginners do. Here is a great community site with lots of projects: 43oh.com/

I am not asking Polou to replace the arduino but just offer an alternative. I have no affiliation with Texas Instruments I simiply had to switch platforms recently because of the arduino’s flaws and found this suited my needs nicely. :smiley:

1 Like

Oh I know what you are saying, It is a great board for such a low price. I also love how it comes with a different IC. It wasn’t to much of a switch for me for going from the TI C2000 series using code composer to using this board. I will have to have a look at the link you provided. It would have been nice for compatibility with arduino type shields, but thats ok. Thanks for the information! One thought on why it’s hard to sell them I would think would be resell value. Oh well! Thanks for the post. :slight_smile: