Motor Shield Compatibility

Can I use a G2 High-Power Motor Driver 24v13 to power a 37D (12V motor with 5.5 stall current, product #4750). I may be using this motor at stall current so I wanted a lot to work with. Just making sure this combination is compatible?

Hello.

You can use the G2 High-Power Motor Driver 24v13 (or our similar dual 24v14 shield) with that motor. However, stalls can also result in rapid (potentially on the order of seconds) thermal damage to the motor windings and brushes, and it is especially easy to stall the motor you mentioned since there is no gearbox. If you expect this motor to be stalled regularly due to the loads in your application, I would strongly recommend getting a more appropriate motor for those loads, ideally one that can handle your maximum load while drawing only around 25% or less of its stall current. You might consider one of our gearmotors which include a gearbox, or a more powerful motor altogether.

- Patrick

Thanks so much for the input! We expect the motor to operate at stall torque, so I may have to get a new motor. Do you know if any Pololu motor has both an encoder and an RPM of greater than 2500?

Unfortunately, we do not have any brushed DC gearmotors that can operate at those speeds and handle substantially more torque than the motor you originally mentioned.

- Patrick