Mini Maestro 24 servos won’t move!

Hello guys and gals, I have the maestro 24 and have been attempting to get it to move a servo pretty much all day today. I have tried about 4 different sizes and types of servos, all known to be good, but none of them would work. I hooked the maestro up to my pocket DSO and there is a square wave signal coming out of it, just for whatever reason it won’t operate the servos. I have tried with a 2S cell lipo, and a 4S cell lipo, both of which I have used with the maestro before. The 4S cell was charged to only 15.7 volts so it is within the power limits of the maestro itself. So I can’t see that causing any issues. It only would affect one specific servo and it still didn’t turn the servo, it only made its tiny little motor sure hot. Any help would be appreciated!

Hello.

The most common reason for the servos not moving is not powering them; by default, the Maestro’s logic power and servo power rail are not connected. You can find various powering methods in the “Powering the Maestro” section of the Maestro user’s guide.

However, since you mentioned one of your servos getting hot, it sounds like that might not be the issue here. Most servos have a operating voltage range of 4.8V to 6V nominally. Even a 2S LiPo is probably a bit high for most servos when fully charged, so I am a little concerned that connecting 15V+ to them might have damaged them. You mentioned that the servos are known to be good; do you have a way to test them separately from the Maestro? If so, I recommend doing so with a safe voltage to make sure they still work. Also, could you post some pictures of your setup that show all of your connections, including how you are connecting your servos?

Brandon

Thank you for the reply. Yes I do have a way to test them. I can use an Arduino Uno to PWM into them.

Okay so I figured out my issue. Or more correctly you pointed it out. Lol. Those voltages were way way to high for every servo except one. I have a 12v servo and for whatever reason I stupidly assumed they all were 12v. Omg, thank you for pointing that out. I can’t believe I had a brain fart that powerful. Lol.

1 Like