Micro Metal Gearmotor

Hello. I am using 2 6V Hp Micro Metal Gearmotors (10:1) with a DRV8835 dual motor driver carrier. I have a 2s Li-po battery (7.2V). Do I need a 6V voltage regulator (D24V25F6 or D24V10F6),
or the motor will work without damaging itself? I don’t know what to do exactly with the stall current.

Hello, Uwe.

No, you should not need a 6V regulator in that system. Your 2S LiPo is an appropriate power supply for that combination of gearmotor and motor driver. In general, these kinds of motors can run at voltages above and below their nominal voltages; lower voltages might not be practical, and higher voltages could start negatively affecting the life of the motor. Note that you can also limit the effective voltage supplied to the motor by adjusting the maximum duty cycle of the signal sent to the motor driver. (For example, commanding a duty cycle of 83% with a battery voltage of 7.2V would be like effectively supplying 6.0V across the motor leads.)

Another important check to make is that the voltage of your fully-charged battery does not exceed the maximum input voltage of your motor driver. In this case, that voltage for the DRV8835 is 11V, and a fully-charged 2S LiPo is 8.4V, which makes the 2S LiPo safe to use with that motor driver.

-Jon

Thank you :slight_smile: