"make" fails. /bin/sh: sdcc: command not found

Hi have just installed the wixel SDK on fedora 19 as well as sdcc. When I try “make” (from the wixel-sdk directory) I get the following result:

$ make
Compiling apps/wireless_adc_tx/wireless_adc_tx.rel
/bin/sh: sdcc: command not found
make: *** [apps/wireless_adc_tx/wireless_adc_tx.rel] Error 127

I even tried sudo make. No diff.

There are several scripts in /bin in the form sdcc-foo no sdcc by itself.

Has anybody else had this problem?
Does anybody know the solution?

Gordie.

Hello, Gordie.

The Wixel SDK Makefile expects there to be an executable named “sdcc” on the path and that is what you are supposed to get when you install SDCC, as far as I know. How did you install SDCC? What version did you install? What are those sdcc-* scripts in /bin?

If you have a suitable executable on your system that behaves like main sdcc compiler but happens to have a different name, you have a few options to get things working. Any one of these should work:

• Make a symbolic link from /bin/sdcc to the executable.
  • Edit the line at the top of the Wixel SDK Makefile that sets CC; set it to the path of the executable.
  • When you run the Wixel’s Makefile, set the CC environment variable to the path of the executable.

–David

Hi David,

I installed it using Apper (the default fedora 19 KDE app manager, I believe) version 3.2.0-3.fc19
How do I check the path?
The script names are

sdcc-as2gbmap
sdcc-makebin
sdcc-packihx
sdcc-s51
sdcc-savr
sdcc-sdar
sdcc-sdas6808
sdcc-sdas8051
sdcc-sdasgb
sdcc-sdasrab
sdcc-sdasz80
sdcc-sdcc
sdcc-sdcclib

sdcc-as2gbmap contains

#!/bin/sh
PATH=/usr/libexec/sdcc:$PATH
/usr/libexec/sdcc/as2gbmap "$@"

sdcc-sdcc contains

#!/bin/sh
PATH=/usr/libexec/sdcc:$PATH
/usr/libexec/sdcc/sdcc "$@"

There is an executable called sdcc in /usr/libexec/sdcc/ as well as ones matching all the others

sdcc]$ ls -1
as2gbmap
makebin
packihx
s51
savr
sdar
sdas6808
sdas8051
sdasgb
sdasrab
sdasz80
sdcc
sdcclib

…except as2gbmap. That’s a python script.

Should I point the wixel SDK makefile there or, perhaps, add a script in /bin called sdcc? (A copy of sdcc-sdcc?)
Or modify the makefile so it adds ‘sdcc-’ in front of the current name? (Not sure how to do that, the makefile seems a bit cryptic to me.)

Sorry, I’m a bit of a user. I was a raging computer geek in highschool but carreer-wise have always been skirting computer science (PLCs, CNC programming, etc.) I have recently gotten into microcontrollers but Arduino is pretty hand-holdy so I have no experience with tool chain use or configuration. While I’m on the subject, could you recomend a good C tutorial or is just the same as the Arduino language?

Thanks in advance,
Gordie.

Hello, Gordie.

The Wixel Makefile can be pretty cryptic but it should be easy to modify the CC variable to point at the right thing. I recommend you find the line very close to the top of the Makefile that says:

CC := sdcc#         C compiler: creates object files (.rel) from C files (.c)

And simply change it to:

CC := sdcc-sdcc

That seems like the easiest option to me, but another option would probably be to add /usr/libexec/sdcc to your PATH.

There is not really an “Arduino language” because the Arduino IDE basically just uses a C++ compiler and adds a few little things to make C++ easier to use. C is pretty much a subset of C++.

–David