Maestro and Relay to turn light on and off

Hi there, I am using a Mini Maestro 24 to hopefully control a diorama. I have managed to get it working with several 6v servos in a sequence, but when it comes to turning on and off a 12v led strip, I am struggling.
I figured out that I needed a relay to control the higher voltage? but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to connect it to the maestro so that it turns on and off when I move the slider up and down in the control center.

I have the Pololu Basic 2-Channel SPDT Relay Carrier with 5VDC Relays, and I thought I should just set the channel to Output, and then connect the + and - on a channel. When I test with a multimeter the voltage goes up and down, but the relay doesn’t come on. I’ve tried connecting the control pin as well but I’m not sure what that would do in this case?

I’m very new to all this so I’m sure it’s something obvious, but I can’t find an example anywhere. I really just need to know how to connect it up so if anyone can help at all that would be fantastic!

Hi.

For a 12V LED strip you should use the 12V version of our relay carrier board. If you powered the relay with 12V, it is probably damaged.

Once you have the 12V relay version, you should connect the signal pin from your output channel on the Maestro to the EN pin on the relay carrier board and then also connect a common ground between them.

-Claire

Hi Claire, so I did actually buy the 12v version first, and connected it exactly how you described which is encouraging! I just tried it again with that relay, and I think I had something the wrong way round, because I can get it to work now! :slight_smile:

Thanks so much!

1 Like