Longevity of micromotors

hi

i’m building some differential drive robots using a number of your products (+ some other stuff for using lithium ion batteries). it’s all coming together well. thanks for a great range of products!

they are for an art exhibition where they will be running 8 hours a day for 4 weeks. i am wondering for how long can i expect the micromotors to last? (unfortunately i wont be around for the second two weeks)

i am using 50:1 micromotors (non HP)
i’m running them at 6V
the robots are mostly moving really slowly
(< 25% duty cycle)
and are never running above a 50% PWM duty cycle
they stall occaisionally (when they run into each other)
but never for more than 10 seconds at a time

i realise that this is quite speculative. i’ve had them for several days so far
(and obviously i’ll have a much better sense of this after the show)
can you give me a sense of how long they might last?

thanks

johnt

Hello.

We do not have good specs on these, and the life will depend on various details of your application. In general, I think you should be fine. We have the 30:1 version of those motors in our 3pi robots, some of which have been around for over 3 years now, and I have not heard of many failures. They don’t get the 8 hours of continuous use you have, but we run them at a higher voltage and at 100% duty cycle. I am most concerned about the stall situations, and it would be preferable to lower that time. However, if you are sure you are giving it 50% or less duty cycle even in the stall situations, you’ll probably be fine. Please share any results you have after your exhibit.

- Jan

i’ll post back when it’s all over
with documentation and how they lasted

thanks for your response