Logitech Wireless PS2 Controller Decoded

I used a saleae.com logic analyzer to decode the output from a Logitech wireless PS2 controller.

The logitech controller comes with the controller and the receiver/transmitter unit that plugs into the PS2. I cut a wired controller cable, and spliced it to a lynxmotion PS2 adaptor cable (PS2 to header), in which I plugged the RX/TX module. I used the Saleae analyzer to look at the signals at the splice. After months (!) of trying to decode the signal, I realized that the signal is just SPI and I decoded it in one afternoon. (actually it was my friend Matt who said, “that sounds a lot like SPI, dude.” FUFME.

Anyways, see the spreadsheets here:
spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= … utput=html

Easily add wireless to you project now! The orangutans from pololu have SPI modules built in, so you should be able to add this to your system easily. (The cable I got from lynxmotion makes it easy to plug in the RX/TX module. )

-Nate

Hello,

It is great that you figured that all out, but why did you not just follow the instructions and tutorials linked from the page for the Parallax PS2 Controller Cable? Does the wireless controller function differently from a normal PS2 controller?

Also, have you succeeded in connecting this to an Orangutan yet?

-Paul

Hi Paul!

Great Question! it turns out that when I started this project (1 1/2-yrs ago),those pages did not exist! They were trying to bit-bang the interface on their BASIC stamp boards and couldn’t figure the differences between different controllers and whatnot. As far as I can tell, no one knew anything. There was one page where some guy had decoded the protocol for a wired PS2 controller and used that to teach girls at a summer camp. There was another page with a Russian domain describing the physical interface. At the time this page http://store.curiousinventor.com/guides/PS2 did not exist. Neither gave a complete description of the interface.So I finished the work last summer and just sat on it because I wanted to actually do project with it before publishing. I saw some rumblings around the web about this and thought I’d publish it. It’s probably a case of too little too late. Now, there is no glory for me! :laughing: I published on the pololu forms because I really like your company and thought that it might be in a good way to show how wireless and the orangutan controllers could work together.

I should really point out that these guys: store.curiousinventor.com/guides/PS2 really have a more thorough description of the interface!

Well, that makes sense. Anyway, do you actually have it working on the Orangutan? I would be very interested to see details, pictures, etc.

-Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes, the proof is in the pudding. I have an arduino, but no orangutan. :slight_smile: And no, I just have it decoded. I can write something up next week after the GF leaves.
Thanks for pressing me on the details!

-Nate