LiPo battery on Romi 32U4

Hello,

I currently have a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B mounted on my Romi 32U4. I am currently running a lot of programs on my Pi which is draining the batteries. The battery power is insufficient with double A batteries. I was wondering is there is a way to use a LiPo battery instead? If so, do I have to get any extra components, or can I just solder something together?

Thank you,
Mohamed Hadrami

Hello, Mohamed.

It should generally be fine to power the Romi 32U4 Robot with a LiPo battery, as long as you stay within the operating voltage range (the maximum operating voltage of the Romi 32U4 Control Board is limited to 10.8V by the motor driver).

As far as connecting it, you will probably want to solder a cable to the boards with a connector that mates with the one on your battery. You can connect the power between the BAT2- and BAT1+ terminals (it would probably be more practical to remove the battery contacts and solder a jumper cable directly to the board). Alternatively, you could connect it to the VBAT and GND pins on the board (which line up with the battery shaped cutout on the chassis).

Brandon