Line follower prototype

Hello guys, I am not sure if I can use the DRV8835 Dual Motor Driver Carrier with the Voltage Regulator 5V Step-Up/Step-Down S9V11F5. I am trying to build a line follower robot and the 5V Step-Up/Step-Down Voltage Regulator S7V8F5 is not available anymore.
Thank you for your time!

Hello.

The two regulators you mentioned, the S9V11F5 and the S7V8F5 have a similar performance characteristics, so if you are confident that the S7V8F5 would work in your application, then I think the S9V11F5 is likely to work as well. If you can tell me more specifically how you want to use the regulator, then I might be able to more confidently confirm that. For example, what are you using to power the regulator, and are you just going to power the logic side of the DRV8835 Dual Motor Driver Carrier with it, or are you planning for it to power the motors as well?

By the way, as of now, we do have a few units of the S7V8F5 regulator in stock, but both of the regulators you mentioned currently have a rationed status, so you might also consider one of our S13VxF5 Step-Up/Step-Down Voltage Regulators. Most of those are not being rationed, and they have similar performance characteristics.

- Patrick

Hello,

I would like to use it like in this picture, but I am not sure if the driver for the motors in connected with the voltage regulator in parallel: here - Album on Imgur
I am worried because the driver for the motors works on 11V and the regulator can step up the voltage to 16V and I’m trying not to fry the driver for the motors.

It seems like your first post might have included a typo. The regulator shown in that diagram is labeled as an S7V7F5 Step-Up/Step-Down Voltage Regulator, not an S7V8F5. Also, I am not sure what guide this diagram is coming from, but it might be good to be more skeptical of it since the regulator in the diagram does not look like the S7V7F5 it is labeled as. It looks more like one of our step-down regulators. Maybe it is a D24V25F5, but it is hard to know for sure.

Fortunately though, I think any of the regulators we have discussed so far (including the two new ones I mentioned in this post) should be fine for making the connections shown in that diagram. It seems like you might be getting confused about how these regulators work. Just to clarify, all of the regulators we have discussed produce a constant 5V output, and they cannot produce any other output voltages. Step-up/step-down regulators will generate that 5V output voltage with input voltages both higher and lower than 5V (i.e. they step lower input voltages up to 5V, and they step higher input voltages down to 5V).

- Patrick