LACT12 Duty Cycle

I know you don’t manufacture the LACT12 linear accelerator, but perhaps you can answer this question. It is stated on its data sheet that it has a duty cycle of 25% - if it runs for 1 minute continuous it should not be run for another 3 minutes.

Should this duty cycle be applied to any duration of running the motor? If the motor runs for 10 seconds, should 30 seconds elapse before it is run again for example?

Thank you in advance.

Hello.

That duty cycle specification does recommend limiting operation to one minute out of every four. Scaling down should have a similar effect, so it should be fine to run your actuator in cycles where it drives for ten seconds then rests for thirty. However, at some point that will not hold for scaling up. For example, I would not recommend running your actuator for an hour straight with the plan that you will then let it rest three hours.

If you post more about your application, including how much load the actuator will be under, I can let you know if it seems reasonable.

- Patrick

Thanks for the quick reply. I haven’t measured precisely, but the motor will not run it’s full throw. I think max travel will be about 8 inches. But in most cases will be will significantly less than that.

The application is very similar to what is depicted in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAlcVOl2x1c

Instead of bellows, there is one actuator on the left wing and one on the tail. The motors are installed on the side of the octagon structure below the aircraft and attached to a rod that extends out from the bottom of the aircraft a bit farther than depicted on the video.

The motors are operated to position the model to random bank and pitch angles not to exceed certain angles. Because the angles are random, the operation time of the motor varies.

I’m not sure what the load will be, but nobody will be inside.

Wow! That is like a pretty exciting application!

We have many linear actuators with “LACT12” in their name; can you link to the particular one you are considering? Even though no one will be inside, if your project is similar in scale to the device in the video, I suspect our industrial-duty actuators would be most appropriate.

In any case, between not knowing the load and the operation cycles being inconsistent , it is difficult to tell in advance if your actuator will be okay. If you cannot characterize those aspects of your system better, then my best recommendation is to test cautiously with the expectation that you may need to make adjustments, such as by adding actuators or reducing excess weight.

- Patrick

I apologize for the delayed response. I’ve been very busy this week.

I came on to the project after the actuator had already been chosen. It’s a Concentric Glideforce LACT-12. We’ll have to see how it goes. Thanks for your help.

1 Like