Issue with regulator

I’m using a Step-Down Voltage Regulator D24V6ALV to power a gumstix from a 2S lipo.
At first it works but it always reaches the same point in booting before loosing power. I was told that switching regulators aren’t good with transient loads so I’m guessing at this point the gumstix is suddenly changing it’s power usage. When I replace the regulator with a linear one it works with no problems. I don’t know much about switching regulators but would using one with a higher switching frequency help? Are there any pros and cons in this or suggestions on what to do?

Hello.

Can you provide more details about your gumstix? Can you measure how much current it is drawing? What kind of linear regulator are you using? How much current can it deliver?

I think it’s more likely that the gumstix is consuming more than the available current than something to do with a sudden change in current.

- Ryan

It’s a gumstix tide with a summit board, only things connected are the power and usb console connection. Strangley it shutdowns at the same point when I measured it’s amps, although it could be because I’m using a very cheap DMM. It goes up and down between 200-300mA though before that. I’m using 2 different linear regulators that both work, one’s a 7805 that can deliver 1A and the other is a BEC from an rc ESC that can deliver 2A.
The switching regulator I’m using is the 600mA one, not the 300mA so it should be able to deliver enough power since the gumstix site says it only uses ~250mA.

Hello.

I read your gumstix mailing list thread over on Nabble, and I second the advice given by Garry Allen. Try following his advice and see how you do.

- Ryan

I tried the 3.5A regulator on the same wire harness and it worked no problem. Unfortunately I blew up my boost regulator (human error) so I won’t be able to try that for a while.