Issue using Pololu programmer for Baby Orangutan

Hi,
I’m having issues getting my new programmer to program the Baby O (linux using AVRDUDE). Here’s what I’ve done so far and the results.

• Target has external power supply
  • programmer cable properly corrected (based on other forum threads with images)
  • The oddest response I haven’t been able to find any threads on is the lights on the AVR programmer, when the programmer is first plugged in the green light is solid and the red light is flashing - after a few seconds both lights shut off and do not turn on again until programmer is unplugged and plugged back in.
  • dmseg output:
    [21314.838247] usb 2-1: Product: Pololu USB AVR Programmer
    [21314.838249] usb 2-1: Manufacturer: Pololu Corporation
    [21314.838252] usb 2-1: SerialNumber: 00166418
    [21314.839893] cdc_acm 2-1:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
    [21314.841029] cdc_acm 2-1:1.2: ttyACM1: USB ACM device

-lsusb output includes: Bus 002 Device 027: ID 1ffb:0081

• when I try to make program the sample

hriste@hriste-Aspire-R7-371T:~/Downloads/libpololu-avr/examples/atmega328p/simple-test$ make program
avrdude -p m328p -c avrisp2 -P /dev/ttyACM0 -U flash:w:test.hex
avrdude: ser_open(): can’t open device “/dev/ttyACM0”: Permission denied

avrdude done. Thank you.

Makefile:33: recipe for target ‘program’ failed
make: *** [program] Error 1
hriste@hriste-Aspire-R7-371T:~/Downloads/libpololu-avr/examples/atmega328p/simple-test$ sudo make program
avrdude -p m328p -c avrisp2 -P /dev/ttyACM0 -U flash:w:test.hex

avrdude: stk500v2_command(): command failed
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude done. Thank you.

Makefile:33: recipe for target ‘program’ failed
make: *** [program] Error 1

• I get diffrent errors when I do and don’t use sudo (makes sense) but either way I can’t seem to get it to program and i can’t seem to find a solution.

Any help would be much appreciated - Thanks in advance

Hello.

Do you get the same behavior if you connect just the AVR Programmer to your computer without anything else connected to the programmer? If you have not already done so, can you try using a different USB cable and a different USB port to see if that changes anything?

If the AVR Programmer’s red LED is blinking, then the Baby Orangutan might not be powered properly by your external power supply. (See the description of the AVR Programmer’s LEDs under the “Module Pinout and Components” section of its user’s guide.) What are you using to power the Baby Orangutan?

It is possible that there could be a problem with your programmer. If you have a multimeter, can you measure the Baby Orangutan’s VDD line and the programmer’s VDD line and let us know what you get?

- Amanda