Is it possible to create a 90 degree high torque motor?

I’ve been looking for small, low RPM extremely high torque DC motors for an animatronics project I’m working on. The 499:1 Metal Gearmotor has the specs I’m looking for. However, space is very tight in this project and I ideally need a motor with a 90 degree output shaft. Would it be possible to combine the 499:1 motor with the gearbox portion of the 200:1 Plastic Gearmotor? I’m mostly concerned about running such a high torque motor through the plastic gears, but I’m running out of ideas. Any ideas on how to achieve this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Sixpence

Hi,

Yeah, I don’t think that would be possible. The motor output shafts are totally different sizes, and the plastic gears probably couldn’t hold up to that kind of torque. I don’t have any ideas besides befriending someone at your local machine shop.

- Ryan

Sounds like you might want a worm gear setup. They’re easier to move 90 degrees. The other items you might look at are Miter Gears under the gear section of the robotmarketplace (robotmarketplace has a few heavier duty items than Pololu but it’s in a sufficiency different class than this place, I think. I normally only look there if I can’t find what I need here.)