Invensense 20600

The Invensense ICM-20600 (or 20602 - I’m not sure what the difference is aside from packaging) is the upgraded version of the MPU-6050 family of IMU’s. Personally I’m mostly interested in the gyro, which has 10x faster output rate and 3x better noise density than the L3GD20H. But the accelerometer looks very good too. There are a few products in the family that could probably use the same (or very similar) breakout boards.

I’ve only found one supplier of breakout boards (for the 20602), but it doesn’t include a regulator or level shifters for 1.8v.

Thank you for your suggestion; I have passed it on to the rest of the engineers here.

Do you have any personal experience using those sensors? We are particularly interested in hearing more about how the performance compares to the claims made in the datasheets.

-Jon

No I haven’t used it yet. I intend to get one and compare against the L3GD20, but it will be later this year before I can do that. I haven’t found much information about the 20602 online. There is a bit from the RC drone community, they are starting to use it since their favoured MPU-6000 series is EOL. Mixed reviews so far as far as I can tell, but that might be due to their filtering algorithms being optimised for the 6000 series and needing some updates for the 20602. The applications I want it for are very precise angle measurements on a wheel, which would have similar requirements to something like head-tracking. The specs I’m most interested in are noise rate, non-linearity, and temperature dependence of the gyro offset, all of which look good according to the datasheet.

Using a simple breakout is probably easier than I was thinking, there is a separate VDDIO so presumably I can run the core VDD at 1.8v and interface the IO to a microcontroller at 3.3v. There is a simple breakout available from notwired.co, but it isn’t great - no mounting holes for a start.

2 Likes

Thanks for the additional information. When you do get a chance to use one of those sensors, we would be interested in hearing what you think of it.

-Jon