Install Pololu AVR Development Bundle

Can anyone suggest why I receive the following error message when I hit F7?

OrangutanMotors.h: No such file or directory

I have installed Atmel Studio 6 on my computer running windows 7. The library appeared to install as described in 3.1. Installing Prerequisites.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Atmel Studio 6 three times and reinstalled the development bundle.

The program was able to create the hex file for the blink red LED example correctly. I used another program to install it onto my Baby Orangutan. This worked.

Is this an install problem or am I making some other mistake?

Hello.

I am sorry you are having trouble. What code are you trying to compile in Atmel Studio and where did you get it? Please post the entire code here.

I suspect that “pololu/” is missing from the #include line. It should look like this:

#include <pololu/OrangutanMotors.h>

–David

Thank you for replying. This is the code I am trying to use. I have copied it from here.

#include <OrangutanMotors.h>

#define CH1 7 // ELE - FWD/REV
#define CH2 4 // AIL - LEFT/RIGHT
#define LED 1
#define rcMin 1000
#define rcMax 2000
#define MIXING 1

OrangutanMotors motors; 
unsigned long input2;
unsigned long input1;

void setup()
{
  pinMode(CH1,INPUT);
  pinMode(CH2,INPUT);
  pinMode(LED, OUTPUT);

}

void loop()
{
  input2 = pulseIn(CH2, HIGH) ;
  input1 = pulseIn(CH1, HIGH) ;

if (input2 != 0 && input1 != 0)
  {
	int M1 = (input1 - rcMin) -  (rcMax - rcMin)/2;
	int M2 = (input2 - rcMin) -  (rcMax - rcMin)/2;

if(MIXING) 
	{ 
	   long temp = M1 - M2; 
	   if (temp > 250) 
	   { 
		 temp = 255; 
	   } 
	   else if (temp < -250) 
	   { 
		 temp = -255; 
	   } 

long temp2 = M1 + M2; 
	   if (temp2 > 250) 
	   { 
		 temp2 = 255; 
	   } 
	   else if (temp2 < -250)
	   { 
		 temp2 = -255; 
	   } 

M1 = temp; 
	   M2 = temp2; 
	}    

motors.setSpeeds(M1,M2);
  }
}

The code you are using has setup and loop functions, but no main, so it looks like it is meant to be used in the Arduino environment, not Atmel Studio. If you follow the instructions in our guide that I linked to above, you should be able to get it working.

–David

Thank you. You were right. It is working in the Arduino environment.

It looks like I have to update the firmware of the “USBasp AVR Programming Device for ATMEL proccessors” that I am using before I can get the progaram onto the board.

I am glad you are making progress. I see you selected USBasp as the programmer; is that the only programmer you have or did you get our Pololu USB AVR Programmer with your Baby Orangutan?

Also, the messages shown in your screenshot are only warnings. You should scroll down so you can see the entire output and see if there were any actual errors.

–David

Thanks to you I am making progress after two frustrating weeks. I am using this programmer. It is the only one I have.

There were no errors. Just the warning to update the firmware.

I will let everyone on my usual forum know your advice. There are several people who wish to use Baby Orangutans. We build 150 gram remote control vehicles. The 2 gram weight of the Baby Orangutan is ideal for our application. I have four Baby Orangutans at the moment and will get some more once the programing is sorted.

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.

If you see no error messages then it is possible that the program was loaded correctly.

Once you figure this out, please share the compiled HEX file with your friends so that they can just use AVRDUDE (which is included in WinAVR) to program their Baby Orangutans. There would be no need for them to configure an IDE or compile C++ code.

–David