I have an issue with connecting IMU sensors to a microcontroller

Hello there. I have been trying to connect the AltIMU-10 v5 IMU with my Teensy 4.1 micro-controller, but I always get a detection and initialization error like in the following screenshots:

I have tried rewiring the module multiple times according to the diagrams, tried different SDA & SCL pins, tried other modules (same model), and tried other software related fixes with no luck. I have the LIS3MDL, LSM6, and Teensy 4 I2C libraries installed. How can I fix this issue?

Hello.

Can you post some pictures of your setup that show how everything is connected? Also, how are you powering your system?

- Patrick

Hey Patrick. About 9 hours from now I will send you the pictures of the connections. I powered the module in two different ways and both didn’t work. The first was through a battery pack 5v and the second was by the 3.3v output from the Teensy.

Here

Hello.

I cannot see the soldering on your AltIMU, but I can see some problems with the joints on your Teensy. Several of the solder joints are not fully wetted to the pads. Can you fix that and try again? The Adafruit Guide to Excellent Soldering is a great resource if you need extra guidance for how to do that. If you continue having trouble after fixing your soldering, please post some updated pictures that show all of the solder joints on the Teensy, the AltIMU, and the PCB your Teensy and headers are connecting to.

Also, just in case you were not doing this already, if you power your AltIMU and Teensy from separate supplies, please make sure there is still a common ground connection between the boards.

- Patrick

I have tried to re-solder it properly, but I still have the same issue. I assume it is a software problem. The guys who did the project tried it before and it worked. unfortunately they graduated and I can’t contact them.

I noticed that in my previous post I forgot to include the link the soldering guide I mentioned; I fixed that now.

Can you post updated pictures of your soldering? I would also recommend looking at your setup with an oscilloscope to verify that your boards are sending and receiving data as expected.

- Patrick

When I return to the lab next Friday.

Thanks for help. I fixed the issue. I connected it to the another i2c bus.

I am glad to hear you got it working! Thanks for letting us know.

Which pins and which Wire bus did you end up using?

- Patrick

Those were 19 SCL and 18 SDA. The default wire bus.