How to use tamiya plasma dash?

So I’m remaking a broken toy car by arduino and I noticed that it’s dc motor is a normal 130dc motor since we will be having race in school I wanna go fast so I saw that tamiya motors is also 130dc so I went and order it, just wondering how do I use it? Right now my Using 10.8V drill battery to power my l298n and arduino I know that normal 130 dc motor is about 6V but I don’t mind it being degraded and don’t last too long I just wanna win and go fast but not too fast, want it to last atleast a month. Questions is is it safe to use my current battery to my tamiya plasma dash? Will it not blow up? And plasma dash uses 4A max how do I supply that much with l298n or should I used a brushed ESC? I also ordered a 12V li po battery “dc12680”. What should I do I want mine to go fast but not as to blew up too soon l.

Hello,

The motor probably would not last very long at double the rated voltage. If your motor is rated at 4A, the L298N sounds underpowered especially since doubling the voltage to the motor will also double the current it draws.

-Dan

What do you suggest I do? I don’t know how the l298n works with current it says it has peak of example 4A does that mean that it will only let the motor draw 4A or 2A or is it like an indicating only that it can safely transmit that current and it could actually go beyond it and ended burning.
I kinda assume it will just bottleneck the motor and go with what my l298n can handle. And one thing if I reduce the pwm signal will it okay

In general, a brushed DC motor will try to draw as much current as it needs based on its load and input voltage. A rating of 4A peak generally means that is the highest current the driver can handle for a short time (on the order of milliseconds) before overheating. If the motor tries to draw more than that most drivers (including the L298N) have an over-temperature protection that will try to shut off the motor outputs in time to prevent damage to the driver. The L298N driver is pretty ancient; modern drivers usually have additional protections like over-current or over-voltage protection to further help prevent damage. If you would like some help choosing a newer driver, please post a link to your motor’s datasheet or specifications (e.g. stall current and rated voltage).

Limiting the duty cycle of your PWM signal will effectively reduce the applied motor voltage which will reduce the current it tries to draw and the speed it spins at.

-Dan

thankyou as for the motor it I can’t seems to find its data sheet all it says it thay it has 3V and 3.1 to 5.2A, it’s a pretty crazy motor for its size and the low voltage level, I tired it a few times on a 10v its strong and fast but it’s fragile in that state, I look into this mosfet motor drivee with 3V and 30A and its pretty good my only problem left is the voltage, how will I drop it to its recommended voltage from 12V.

As mentioned earlier, you could limit the duty cycle of your PWM to effectively reduce the voltage to the motor. You could also change your power supply to something closer to the voltage rating of the motor.

-Dan

Thanks dan, I bought a mosfet based motor controller, it has a lower starting voltage 3V and a high Amps capacity 10A up to 30A peak as for battery I used 3p2s lithium ion cell, and a 5 volts regulator to power most of my 5V modules et, lights servo and sensors. Another question a little bit off topic on this thread but can I use bluetooth module and radio receiver in one arduino? Nano, or uno. Thankyou so much for always responding to my questions

I do not see any particular reason why a Bluetooth module and a radio receiver could not be used with an Arduino, but you should probably be looking for general setup help like that on the Arduino forums or through the documentation from the manufacturers of the boards you are using to see if they are compatible.

-Dan