How to connect Rasberry Pi 3B to Zumo Shield?

Hi, im quite new to the Zumo Shield V1.2 and the Pi 3B. The Zumo Shield is connected to a Zumo robot hence is there a way for me to connect both the Pi and the robot and make the robot move? Prefably not through wifi connection or any with other additional parts. If so, how do i connect it and make the robot move? Thanks in advance.

Hello.

The Zumo Shield is intended for use with and Arduino, not a Raspberry Pi, so it would not be easy to make those work together. If you specifically want to use the Zumo chassis as a base for a Raspberry Pi controlled robot, that would probably be easier to do with a Zumo 32U4. There are lots of ways you could connect additional electronics to the Zumo 32U4 (check out the “Adding electronics” section of the user’s guide), but I think your best option for controlling the Zumo with a Raspberry Pi would be to use I2C. Note, you will need to add level shifters between the Raspberry Pi and the Zumo control board since they operate on different logic levels (3.3V and 5v respectively), and we do not have any guides specifically about setting up a system like this for the Zumo.

If you are not committed to the Zumo robot, then we have two other robot platforms that are specifically designed to work with a Raspberry Pi, Romi and Balboa. If you use a Romi Chassis, then you will also want to get a Romi 32U4 Control Board which has the ability to interface with an added Raspberry Pi.

If you use a Balboa 32U4 Balancing Robot Kit, note that you will also need a 2×20 female header to interface with the Raspberry Pi. Also note with the Balboa kit that you are not restricted to building a balancing robot; you could use the included bumper cage or our stability conversion kit to drive Balboa on its side just like the Zumo or Romi robots.

All of these approaches use Atmega 32U4 based controllers, so in addition to consulting the user’s guide for each product, you might also consider checking out this tutorial about building a Raspberry Pi robot on our blog. This tutorial uses one of our A-Star 32U4 Robot Controllers and a laser cut chassis, but the instructions for setting up your Raspberry Pi and Raspberry Pi slave library for Arduino will still apply to our other robots.

-Patrick