How to awoid button Power of Orangutan 328

Hi

I did robot based on RP5 with motors + Orangutan SV-328

Robot works constantly. Days and nights. Robot has web-camera.
So, i no need button Power. Robot has no battaries. It works due electruc light.

If electric light will be swithed off (temporally) then swithed on,
Orangutan activity will depend on button Power. It need to press on/off to start.

How to delete this influence of button “Power” ?
Orangutan should work as only we given electric power to controller.
What need to change?

Thanks

Hello.

It sounds like you want to bypass the pushbutton power switch on the Orangutan SV-328. You can do this by providing power to any of the VBAT pins on the board directly, though you should be aware that this bypasses the reverse polarity protection circuit as well, so you should be sure you do not connect the power source you are using backwards.

-Nathan

Thanks, Nathan

We do some kind of adaptation using Pololu Orangutan 328, it is enough handy.
We add Internet features and possibilities to change behavoir of robot directly from
forum, where we place “robot brains” to change them by student’s groups.

Latest time we have some “robot avatar” ideas around gardening or to visite dacha,
“being a robot”, using a cloud-camera instead “an eye”. So to bypass the pussbutton
power be good. To not afraid the reverse polarity better be to do some protection too, on
a diode, i think. I’ve not looked attentively sheme so preferred to make the question.

Little machines becoming be too boring, latest time we add and add parts,
so advise be very useful.

Priviet to u, big thanks and have a good time
Nickolay

Hello.

It sounds like you are asking a question about reverse polarity protection. We use a circuit that is similar to the P-FET circuit discussed in this YouTube video on many of our boards. Alternatively, you could just use a diode or some sort of keyed connector for power connections you will be frequently disconnecting and reconnecting.

-Nathan

Priviet, Nathan

1. U told about pin Vbat, is it Vbat shown on the first Picture?
  2. Can i set power to Vbat simply by 1 wire
    from power input (6-13 v) to Vbat as shown o Picture 2 (red line) ?

i see there two Vbat pins (on the Pic. 1), is it need to use 2 wires?
We can do not use diode if we use only 1 wire from + point to Vbat
We give there input power to Vbat

This jumper, i’m afraid, stays before circuit and power button…
In such case the wire will help no, scheme i know much less

• Nickolay

Maybe so, as on the picture (diodes)

Nathan, i have doubts that i right understood to which point need to lead +.
These yellow jumpers, they play nearest role.

Better be show on the picture of Orangutan 328, by marker, final point for +.

Robots, we do not wish were “swidthed off”, becoming be usual.
Not for games, for an ussage with motors of web-cams.
So be useful to have Pololu recomendations.

Thanks for the video

Those two pins (where the yellow jumpers are located) are the only place we have exposed VBAT on the board. They are connected to each other, so powering only one would work, but you may want to make a connection to both (like you show in your latest post) if your motors draw more than 1A of current or so.

You might want to look at the schematic diagram for the Orangutan 328 board to better understand those connections. The yellow jumpers shown in the pictures you referenced are the two POWER SELECT headers shown in the USER I/O POWER CONNECTIONS section of the diagram.

-Nathan

Thanks, Nathan.
Very good scheme. No doubts more, diodes can be used to VBAT.

My question was born by P2P camera with 2 servos to observe around.
If to take Intel flash looking computer, i will have Internet connection by Wi Fi,
(or any old little computer) and by Orangutan 328 i can add 3 motor.

P2P camera, seems, has no possibility to act on Orangutan 328 directly.
I’ve bought one, and look my country far off (360 km out city). Main idea,
to make all as much more simple way. A simple way is to add comuter.

If u has some other idea, how from server to say Orangutan “Let’s go”,
write me, be pleasant to see u. I use computer webcamera before, but
P2P camera looks like more moder and simple.

Becouse robet be situated in the country, i will have no possibility
to power on by button. Pair diodes will solve this problem. i have very old diodes :slight_smile:
Else, from USSR. Such big ones. I will look ampers.

Priviet

• Nickolay

It sounds like you want to turn your Orangutan 328 on or signal your Orangutan over an Internet IP connection without connecting the robot directly to a computer. We do not have any specific suggestions for how you might do that, however you might be able to signal the Orangutan over TTL serial and control a remote switch with a WiFi microcontroller like the ESP8266. Also, there are small inexpensive single board computers (with TTL serial interfaces) like the Raspberry Pi or C.H.I.P. that you might be interested in.

-Nathan

Thanks, Natan.

True ideas. I use similar ones.

I have choosen Intel-PC (Raspberry appeared when i did many PC programs).
TeamView help me to control Intel-PC by Internet. Screenshot of computer of robot
attached. Intel-PC platform looks today as not very expencive and small in size too.

Intel-PC has USB port, so i can send command to Orangutan 328.
Orangutan controls 2 motors of robot. Besides, it send to Intel-PC sensor information.

My PC program (Visual MatLab, matrix language interpretator, i did else before 2000)
has possibility to read commans from my Server, that has interface of user. Such way we
can move P2P camera, placed on robot, in any direction, by Internet.

I prepared all of it, but i bought P2P camera a few days ago.
So my experiments were not very intensive before, i seen only photos before, sended from
robot webcamera. Today i see videostrim, so robot becoming be more interesting.

Nathan, big thanks U, u helped me understang, how to use Orangutan 328 long time, month
or two without swith off. If electric light will be disconnect - then again light on, Intel-PC by BIOS
will activate again, and Orangutan will use diodes thesame aim.

Mokrocontroller u send me link, i will look too. Intel-PC can be more expensive,
but safe my powers, becouse i know PC-programming well, and i need only 1 robot. So it is
good way too. Besides, i use Maestro, good thing too, together with ZigBee chips ETRX3,
to take command for servos of other robot. Wireless controlled.

My interest is rolled around robots of tele-presence in my country. To see it from City.

Priviet to u.

• Nickolay

nathanb Pololu Employee
May 4
It sounds like you want to turn your Orangutan 328 on or signal your Orangutan over an Internet IP connection without connecting the robot directly to a computer. We do not have any specific suggestions for how you might do that, however you might be able to signal the Orangutan over TTL serial and control a remote switch with a WiFi microcontroller like the ESP8266 . Also, there are small inexpensive single board computers (with TTL serial interfaces) like the Raspberry Pi or C.H.I.P. that you might be interested in.
-Nathan

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To
nick2
May 3
Thanks, Nathan. Very good scheme. No doubts more, diodes can be used to VBAT.

My question was born by P2P camera with 2 servos to observe around. If to take Intel flash looking computer, i will have Internet connection by Wi Fi, (or any old little computer) and by Orangutan 328 i can add 3 mot…