Help, first time user

I recently bought a Pololu USB AVR Programmer v2.1, and I am in the process of building a keyboard, specifically the Discipline 65. Currently, This keyboard uses a microcontroller, the atmega32A. The instructions for my keyboard was to flash the microctronller with a bootloader which is what I tried with the microcontroller however when I go to try the keys “make flash” and “make fuse”, I get an error with " stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout error" that us never ending. I have it set as a stk500v2 chip, I don’t know if that is right.

Hello.

Can you post the full output you get after running one of your make commands and pictures clearly showing the connections between the AVR programmer and the ATmega32A? Also, can you also run the Pololu USB AVR Programmer v2 Configuration Utility after a failed programming attempt and post a screenshot of it?

- Amanda

Hello sure thing, I have an imgur link that has some comments in it. Not sure what is relevant though.

It looks like you specified the COM port in one of your screenshots where the programming worked. You should specify a COM port in your AVRDUDE command when running make flash.

- Amanda

That could actually be the reason why!
I’ll give that a try. For the make file I was given it but the creator of the keyboard. Is there a line I could add in the make file to signify which port to use in my programmer?

I expect you would just add -P COM3 to the AVRDUDE command for the flash rule in the Makefile. If you have trouble modifying the Makefile, you could just type in the AVRDUDE command yourself instead of using Make to run it. You could also contact the keyboard manufacturer for help with the Makefile.

- Amanda