Heavy Hexabot

Hi,

I built a pretty heavy hexabot using the Micro Maestro 6-Channel USB Servo Controller, and thought I’d post a link to it…

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-J1jZoCMMs

I used 3 heavy JR servos as well as a heavy battery pack which is used to re-charge cellphones…

When I tried to move it very fast, the maestro would reboot, so the only way I could get it to work was to move things very slow…

This was my first robotic project, so I was doing a lot of learning along the way…

Hello.

Thank you for sharing your project with us!

If your Maestro is rebooting when you try to move the servos quickly, then I suspect the servos might be drawing too much power, causing the voltage to drop and power down the Maestro. It looks like your battery pack is outputting 5V, which is right at the minimum operating voltage of the Maestro. You might try only powering your servos (VSRV) with the PowerGen battery pack and powering your Maestro (VIN) with a separate power supply, like a 9V battery.

If you are able to get it to work how you want it to, we would love to add it to our community projects page!

-Brandon

Thanks for the suggestion!

I’m in rover mode now since I bought a Dagu Rover 5 chassis from you guys, and will be spending my time getting it working, so I won’t really have time to go back and mess with the spiderbot. It didn’t move very well on carpet or anything other than hard surfaces, so I pretty much lost interest in it anyway… :slight_smile:

It was more of a learning project for me, not something I wanted to continue to work on for any length of time. It did teach me how to use the maestro controller which will be useful in my current and future projects…

I just wanted to say you guys do a great job of following this forum and providing useful information to us members! Kudos and thanks to you all! :slight_smile: