Heat in 5V, 600mA Step-Down Voltage Regulator D24V6F5

Hello I bought a Pololu 5V, 600mA Step-Down Voltage Regulator D24V6F5 to 5V 600mA, whey I use it with 12v input and 5v 500mA output it cames very hot in a few seconds (can not be touched by hand), ¿there is any problem?

Best regards.

Hello.

It is not unusual for electronics like that to be very hot when operating, especially when operating near their limits. Does the regulator still continue to output the correct voltage despite being hot? Can you tell me how you tested the current output of the regulator? If you did not directly test the output, how did you come to the current draw of 500mA? What do you have connected to the output of the regulator? Can you post a wiring diagram or pictures that show the regulator and any components connected to it?

-Derrill

Hello Derrill,

• Yes, the regulator still the voltage all the time arount 4.9 V.
  • I tested the current with an amperemeter in serial with the circuit.
  • I have in the output of the pololu an array of the resistors with a resistor equivalen around 10 ohm.
  • Also, i can see that if i increment the voltage in the input pin the current decrement.

Best regards.

From your description, it sounds like the regulator is working fine, and the heat is due to operating close to the output current limit of the regulator. If you want to reduce that heat, you might consider a regulator with a higher maximum current output like our D24V60F5.

-Derrill

Hello Derril,

Yes, it’s working fine. I would like to reduce the heat with a dissipator but i don’t know that is the component that is hot.
Can you explain me which is the component that is hot? Can you recommend me a disipator for it?

Best regards.

The regulator IC and inductor are probably the hottest components on the board. You might try forced air flow or adding a heat sink, but we do not have any specific advice on how to go about adding those.

-Derrill